Light bulb question

First off I suppose I better apologize for not coming here and having a good political rant.

I did some actual home repair work and replaced a 72 watt Edison base, incandescent light bulb.

My guess is that 75 watt and above incandescent bulbs have become banned and are probably a felony to own.

I do not have the original package but I imagine the 72 watt bulb was advertised as being equivalent to 75 watts.

To my surprise there was a small bulb inside of it which appeared to be halogen. I was curious why they did that.

My guess is that a 72 watt halogen is one way to give the equivalent light of a 75 watt standard lamp. I am also guessing that to put a halogen filament inside a standard bulb is not safe...possibly requiring stronger glass and added expense?

Just guessing....

Reply to
philo

It's done to make them slightly brighter / more efficient. It's f*ck all compared to CFL/LED, so utterly pointless.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

On 01/02/2017 5:05 PM, philo wrote: ...

Not to own; but to manufacture or import incandescent bulbs that don't meet the higher-efficiency standards set in the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (EISA) effectively banned them as it's not feasible to meet those standards.

Nationally, the phaseout began w/ 100W in 2012, 75W 2013 and 40/60W in

2014 so it's been a while.

There are exceptions for rough service, 3-way, appliances, candelabra, etc., etc., etc., ... that are still available.

Well, it apparently will meet the efficiency standard and provide the shape factor of the traditional many want...

Reply to
dpb

Fuck the freedom-takers! I will burn as much energy as I want!

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Your guess is off. The 75 watt halogen is "equivalent" to a 100 watt incandescent, and the halogen "capsule" is contained in the glass bulb to preveny it being touched and contaminated, which would blow the boron? glass capsule. It also isolates the high operating temperature of the capsule helping prevent injury and fire.

Reply to
clare

On 01/02/2017 7:13 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote: ...

Seems reasonable on the isolation as a fingerprint would wipe a halogen headlamp very rapidly from collected dust in the collected oils left by fingerprints.

Seems it'd make the halogen itself run even hotter to have it enclosed, however, away from any air movement at all to cool it...

Reply to
dpb

Which assures the halide cycle is always working, returning the vapourized tungsten to the filament instead of depositing it on the envelope.

Reply to
clare

Hi Philo,

I wouldn't own a halogen bulb. They run to darned hot. I do know there are way to deal with the heat, but ...

-T

Lots of reasons incandescence are better than CFL/LED. Recent heavy snow left the traffic lights packed with snow. For 2 days they were impossible to see from 1 of the 4 directions. incandescence would have melted that snow away as it fell. Frozen snow blower? Put a 60W bulb under it with a tarp on top to thaw it out. Works under the hood of the car for a cold engine too. The 'wasted' heat in the house keeps the furnace from starting quite so often, and the heat is being generated where it is needed, where people are, so thermostat can be turned down a couple of degrees. Incandescent vanity lights help keep the fog off the mirror without running a ventilation fan that blows warm air out of the house and somewhere is sucking in cold air. Need adhesive to stick more firmly? Hold it up near a light bulb to warm it up a bit.

Reply to
Mark Storkamp

urprise there was a small bulb inside of it which appeared to be

I have mostly fluorescent and cfl

but this is an antique fixture and only a standard bulb would be appropriate

Reply to
philo

Yes, I know the regulation applies to vendors and not owners

Reply to
philo

Yep, you are right...equivalent to 100 watt so it gives very good light

Reply to
philo

Temp is normal because the lamp is inside of of a standard glass bulb

I do have a few lower watt halogens with the twist lock base and they are fine.

I would never use one of those halogen tube type lights...

those things are indeed a fire hazard and the majority of the living room lamps I see in the trash are those types

Reply to
philo

Blame GWB, he signed the 2007 EISA.

Better yet, stop being an idiot and read something:

It seems your precious "freedom" is intact.

In cases where you want your bulbs to generate heat, Halogen does a much better job than a tungsten filament bulb. At HD there is a wide variety of color temperatures for LED. Great bulbs.

Reply to
Dan Espen

I'm in the UK, where they've gone from supermarkets long ago. You can probably get them mail order if you want one.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Don't they have hoods to shield from bright sunlight anyway?

Why keep a snow blower somewhere it can freeze?

A fanheater is better.

If you have the heating on, it may not be that time of year. And as is 3 times cheaper than electricity.

What mirrors are we talking about?

Plenty warm things around without using lightbulbs.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Because it probably doesn't match the living room decor. Idiot.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You can get bulb shaped CFL/LEDs.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I may eventually got some, thanks

Reply to
philo

Why doesn't everyone just plonk the limey idiot??

Reply to
clare