A/C not blowing cool air, house not cooling

My central A/C doesn't seem to be blowing cool air. It's not blowing very hard either. Two days ago it was working perfect, I had to shut it off because I was getting cold. The next day it wouldn't cool off at all, so I changed the filter, (that's all I know how to do), and today, still not getting cool.

I was thinking maybe it was just too hot outside for it to cool off in here, (105), but I believe it was at least 100 the other day when it was fine.

I heard about checking lines for freezing, I'm not sure which lines, but I looked at everything in the unit in the garage and saw nothing wrong. The fan unit outside seems to be going just fine, and the breakers are not switched.

What else is there? Refrigerent? How do I know?

Help me! It's burning up in here and it's hard on my 3 month old baby.

Reply to
SilverR1_04

How stupid can you be??!!!

You think someone on the internet can fix it??

Pick up the phone and call someone to fix it or I will call the police and have you arrested for child abuse!

Reply to
Red Neckerson

You're a lot of help, moron.

Reply to
SilverR1_04

Sorry to say this, but there is little or nothing you can do based on what you have said. It could well be the temperature, but it also could be any of a number of other things, most of which take a licensed professional to fix.

Your best bet is to call for service. BTW if it is 105 today, you can bet you will be at the end of a long waiting list, unless you are a regular customer of a service professional.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

professional

Reply to
SilverR1_04

Probably not a fuse if both fans are running. Is one line going to the outside unit cold and one warm? If so, the compressor is more than likely running. That is about all I'm willing to offer based on your description of your problem. If it is indeed 105º in your area, then your unit needs to be operating at full capacity to keep you cool. The only way to insure that is to have it serviced regularly, so your service call will not be a waste either way if it has not been serviced recently.

Bobby

Reply to
BGBevill

I will offer that if one line is warm and the other cool, then there is a fair possibility the evaporator coil could be clogged with ice formation.

Shut it down, open the air handler access and look for iced coils, then report back to us.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Doesn't really matter, he doesn't have the proper tools and training to fix the actual problem anyway.

His best bet is to call a professional service company.

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

Agreed.......

Just that in his original post he had mentioned diminished airflow, and he had changed out the filter.

Shoulda taken care of the problem, hence probly is best to call in a pro.....

Still interested if its now iced up ( again ??) -- that would indicate likely a low charge, would it not ???

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

"SilverR1_04" wrote on 10 Aug 2004:

So the blower in the furnace (or the blower inside the house) is working. Is the outside unit working? Is the fan on the outside unit working?

If so, shut the A/C off and call for service. It's beyond your ability to fix, and continuing to run it may turn a fairly inexpensive repair into a very expensive new compressor.

If the fan on the outside unit isn't working, it may be that you have blown one or both fuses in the outside fuse box near the unit. I hesitate to tell you how to change the fuses, because it's dangerous and you're dealing with a lot of current. It would be better if you could call an electrician (easier to get to come out quickly than an A/C repair person in 105 degree heat). The fuses themselves are available at any home center, but if you're not sure what you're doing, it's better to watch someone else replace them the first time.

Reply to
Doug Boulter

"Red Neckerson" wrote on 10 Aug 2004:

No, how stupid can YOU be? Do you think that there's never been a day as hot as 105 for the last 3000 years when air conditioning didn't exist? Must come as a surprise to you that any civilization exists south of 60 degrees north latitude.

If you can't help, at least don't get it the way!

Reply to
Doug Boulter

the furnace in the garage "sounds" like it is working...well, it's making the noise it always makes when it's on. The usit outside also seems to be working, that is the fan is rotating. I have turned off the A/C, I will be working late the next ciouple days anyway, I guess I will have to call for service...

Thanks for your help guys

Reply to
SilverR1_04

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Ha, you're just as dumb. It's 105 outside, not in the house.

"burning up in here" is an exaggeration, not like the walls are actually catching on fire. It is not unsafe, just uncomfortable.

Since you are too stupid to understand an exaggerated comment, you are probably too stupid to understand this explaination. So, we'll just leave it at that.

That's what is wrong with these newsgroups, I ask a question for help, and people reply with stupid crap like that.

Reply to
SilverR1_04

Blow it out yer ass, douchebag.

*PLONK*
Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

Hi PrecisionMachinisT, hope you are having a nice day

On 10-Aug-04 At About 08:06:49, PrecisionMachinisT wrote to PrecisionMachinisT Subject: Re: A/C not blowing cool air, house not cooling

P> From: "PrecisionMachinisT"

P> Agreed.......

P> Just that in his original post he had mentioned diminished airflow, P> and he had changed out the filter.

P> Shoulda taken care of the problem, hence probly is best to call in a P> pro.....

P> Still interested if its now iced up ( again ??) -- that would P> indicate likely a low charge, would it not ???

Not necessarily. it could also indicate low air flow due to dirty coil or squirrel cage etc...

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2