a 50cc scooter

Most DRLs still use the headlights - but cars with LED or HID headlights can't. Some use the turn signals - some use separate lamps, Those that use the headlights use them at reduced output - some by running them in series, some by running high and low in series, and some by regulating the current.

Reply to
clare

The headlight switches USUALLY have on, off, and auto settings, except for some of the GM crap that doesn't give you a choice.

What is coming on when you start the car is the DRL. Auto headlights turn on full lights when it gets dark.

The second photocell on some cars auto-dims your high beams.

Reply to
clare

I didn't reall do this, but I have fantasies of being Richard Diamond.

That would be better. This one only has on and auto.

But not in this 2000 Toyota Solara. For one thing, it faces up, not forward. I used to know what it was for, but I forget. And the owners manual is buried somewhere in my house.

Reply to
Micky

Second one on the solara may be solar heat sensor for AC?

Reply to
clare

Maybe. I should clean my house and let you know. Assuming it's in the manual. When I first got the car, I thought I read the manual, but I still had to ask several people, including a Toyota mechanic I know. But I don't think he knew either.

Reply to
Micky

Wish more cars had auto headlights. Too many idiots don't know when to turn them on and can barely be seen. They don't realize the lights are not just to see, but to be seen.

States may vary, but many require lights: When the wipers are on Half hour after sunrise Half hour before sunset.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Virtually all states have those requirements, as well as virtually all of Canada (and the rest of the "civilized world"

Reply to
clare

Maryland didn't require the light on when the wipers were on, and I thought it was important.

Kept meaning to write my state reps.

Never did.

They introduced and passed it anyhow.

Then I found when there was enough light afaict and light rain, I often forgot.

That's the one good thing abou tthe Toyota, which I bought soon after.

Maryland din't have

Reply to
Micky

On Wednesday, December 9, 2015 at 10:31:05 AM UTC-8, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wro te:

I agree but I once had the ?pleasure? of riding with a taxi driver who thou gh it saved gas. From Ankara to Samsun Turkey in in the middle of the nigh t over poor roads with no lights except for when opposing traffic came by. Was on a change of station and airline "fly and die with THY" dumped us off in Ankara.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

A few seconds with a channel lock pliers. Twist the top off and then the "inards" unscrew like a normal gas cap.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K