On 01/04/2015 03:00 PM, email@example.com wrote:
He put the batteries to be recycled in a bag and one of them shorted out
against the case of another and got hot enough to start a fire.
It seems unbelievable but I guess it's true.
Like I said though, if the battery was dead when he threw it out, that
would not have happened...he just replaced his smoke detector battery as
While that seems hard to believe, I do believe it, because I once had a
coin cell battery in my pocket, and also had coins in there. All of a
sudden my leg was really hot and I quickly pulled my pocket out and
dumped the contents on the ground. That battery apparently contacted
the coins and shorted out. I dont put batteries in my pocket anymore!
I always reuse my smoke detector batteries in something else. They are
usually still good. The only problem is that there are few devices that
use the 9v batteries anymore. Years ago, all the pocket transistor
radios used them. But not too many people use those radios anymore.
I suppose if someone wants to dispose one, or store it safely, just
stick a little duct tape or electrical tape over the contacts.
Nicholas Tesla wrote: "On 1/4/2015 7:24 PM, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Which half is under water?
What is the amp-hour rating of the battery? "
Does it matter which half is under water?? No need to over think this.
Put, for example, a 6" tall empty coffee can in 3-4" of standing water, and touch both 9V battery terminals to the part of the can sticking up out of the water. Maybe I'll draw a picture.
Again, will this heat the can up enough to evaporate some of the water?
Whole world is dangerous, like that. Someone will
remember the story, new building in Japan, was it?
Turns out the concave building focus the suns rays
and was lighting cars on fire.
No kidding! Hold my beer, woman.
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
On Mon, 05 Jan 2015 11:14:35 -0600, Sam E
Why???? You can get a multimeter for as little as $5. And everyone
should have one for lots of uses around the home. Even if you are
uncomfortable testing 120V stuff in the house, you may want to test the
trailer hitch wiring on your car, or test an automotive fuse (using the
I also test the 9 volt batteries with my tongue. Been doing that for 40
years or more. I always have my tongue with me.
I have several VOMs that are over $ 200 and a couple more less expensive
ones so it is not a case of not haveing any thing beter , but my tongue is
still calibrated well enough for the 9 volts.
I do agree that for around the house everyone should have one of the metes
in the maybe $ 20 price range.
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
Or just use software made for newsgroups ONLY. Why OE sees a reply to a
newsgroup as "email" is retarded!
Personally, I find all Signature lines that contain more than just the
user name, to be kind of annoying. It's always the same usless lines
that need to be ignored. Just more worthless clutter. About the same
as all the garbage that comes in my mailbox, wasting my time before I
can get to the useful mail. It's too bad we cant refuse junk mail and
just tell the post office to toss it in the garbage before delivering
But each to their own! It's not my job to judge others! (except the
post office) :)
On Saturday, January 3, 2015 6:35:25 PM UTC-6, philo wrote:
The guy took numerous slightly weak 9V batteries and threw them loose into
a paper bag in a closet? What intelligent person would do that? He probably
kept his lawnmover gasoline in the same closet in his kid's bedroom.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.