Subject Author Posted Replies

fence instead of garage!
I've seen garage kits for under $5,000. Buy a kit and put it up yourself. Get friends to help. Then again, I rebuilt a garage that tipped over. I used a tractor to lift it back up. One wall and the...
9
9

Electricity prices to jump
Ontario has lots of spare capacity, thanks to an orgy of wind-turbine building and solar panel farms that happened before the recession hit in 2008. Owners of these new plants have signed garanteed...
38
38

Huge venetian blind
In my little brick bungalow in a midwest US city, I've got an old style (~1954) venetian blind measuring about 8' wide and 6' tall, and with many years encrusted grime. Seems to be made of metal,...
14
14

Good news for a change (housing)
Prices never dropped here but new home sales did drop causing a spike in rents. Looks like those renters are looking for the American dream now. BTW: I just refinanced at 3.875% on a 30 year fixed....
63
63

sun dial
How do you set the time on a sun dial? If it works in a location and you move it 100 miles east or west then the shadow will be in the wrong place on the numbers. there must be a way to correct it....
11
11

What is best, lowest cost Product to stick outside pabement-type wall stones together?
Found Loctite Pavement Paver caluking in tube for sticking pavement stones together. Requires mineral spirits to clean up [that's ok] WORKS GREAT!!! But I'm doing a stacked wall of random sized stones...
1
1

You might need more home repair if this radio jammer is in your area
You might REALLY be on your own, and doing more home repairs, if the FD can't get there. dispatch should have cell phone numbers for the various chiefs and officers. Just in case. Christopher A. Young...

Rainbarrel, Leader, Gutter question
I put a rainbarrel in the backyard and used a diverter to move some water from the leader into the barrel, It rained hard yesterday, filled the entire barrel, and overflowed somewhat even though the...
1
1

Why Is A Tank Water Heater Better Than A Tankless?
Hi, Why is a tank water heater better than a tankless? There is another thread on this subject but I got there late. Many poster favored a tank water heater but there no explanations of why....
11
11

Follow-up on smart meters, why they (say they) object.
The same woman who want ed me to go to the PSC meeting, sent me a url for an online petition (imagine how important that wil be!) which explains their objections. They say they have safety...
13
13

Ice Maker problem - never seen before
I have the standard modular ice maker for my amana fridge. A few months ago the ice cubes started getting smaller and smaller and finally it just stopped making ice all together. I tested all the...
4
4

concrete patio - sealing suggestions
We have a concrete patio slab under a huge old oak tree. With all the shade, when it rains, the patio dries slowing, and the white concrete is now a dingy dark color from the yuck on it. I can power...
2
2

New Tools from National Hardware Show
Some that caught my eye, more for being clever than necessary. * Pistol-grip reciprocating saw * Rip fence for a circular saw * Ladder lift - stores ladder on garage ceiling * Adjustable nail-puller...
1
1

GFI and Flourscent Light
I have a 4' fluorescent light that will not work when on a GFI circuit. It works fine on a non GFI circuit. The light has one of those small electronic ballasts that is about 2" and 4" at the end of...
7
7

How hot the water?
° C). A water temperature exceeding this poses serious risk of bad burns, particularly to children. In fact even at 125° F, if the child puts his or her hand in the water continuously for two...
36
36