8 foot ceilings in garage... Gas IR heating tube OK?

I'm going to be installing heat into my garage in the next month or so and I was wondering what would work.

Garage is 24'x32'. I have a natural gas line and electricity. Ceilings are eight feet.

I do plan on some painting/staining, so I'd like to avoid the air currents caused by forced air gas heat.

I'm considering a 15 foot natural gas IR heater, vented the remaining 9 feet to the outside of the garage so to scavange any extra heat I can from the exhaust. Air intake on one side of the garage. Exhaust on the other side.

Does this sound OK? Can an IR heater be installed with the eight foot ceilings, or are they meant for higher ceilings? Should I bother trying to scavange some of the exhaust heat?

Thanks!

Reply to
Me

Better have a real long talk with a customer service person at your proposed heater manufacturer. The 8' ceiling is much lower than on installations I have seen. You might also talk with building inspection people in your city to get some good advice and to prevent stumbling over some odd ball regulation that could affect your project. Keep in mind that painting and staining with gas fires present has in the past resulted in some spectacular conflagrations. Check with local auto body shops to see how they handle similar kinds of work with regards to heaters.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

The cheapest way is a forced air gas furnace, drect vent, and a walled off area for paintaing staing etc,.''

The heat tubes are radiant, they will heat only the stuff in the building not the building itself

Reply to
hallerb

Is that a vented unit or are you making your own theoretical - experimental venting. I know little about this except you need a vented unit and have to follow proper set up or Co will get you. I would not expeiment a DIY vent. I would have a thermometer probe above the unit to be sure you keep what is above it below the recomended temperature. A Co detector would be needed to be sure you are safe. I just saw a spec sheet and it gave mounting height to ceiling and the temp max of above ceiling. You do know Radiant does not heat air, it heats objects that heat the air, I would not want one of those facing a car or my work to be painted.

Reply to
ransley

An 8' ceiling height seems a bit too low for an IR heater where I assume you'll be standing and working.

Outdoor restaurant seating with IR heaters has me concerned that the top of my head might blister. Depending on the heater location relative to your work area...you might be WAY too close.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK