More gas furnace questions Coleman Model 7970-656/d

Again, this is a down flow furnace out of a mobile home. Just noticed it says "Sealed Combustion" and my insurance company said it's OK for me to use it in my garage. Down flow, so I'll weld a stand for it to sit up off the floor about 8".

Question about flue exhaust and fresh air inlet. This is an 80% unit (I'm guessing 57K BTU's out divided by 70K BTU's in = 81%? )

Can this be used with the flue exhaust/air intake being terminated on an outside wall similar to 90% units but metal, not PVC? Or must this flue go a certain number of feet higher than the roof? Or something in between the two?

Reply to
Tony

Best bet. Contact the manufacturer to get a copy of the installation manual for that furnace.

Reply to
Bob F

What does your building code require? A code compliant installation will make your insurance company happy.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I forgot to mention there is _NO_ building code where I live. We have septic and electrical codes/inspection but no building code.

Reply to
Tony

I've been trying to do that with no success.

Reply to
Tony

Normally mobile home means "direct vent" with sealed combustion. This means a specialized vertical vent termination would be the only one you could use. I see manuals you can "buy" online; such as this one;

but I would think that there would something in the way of "free" from the mfg. somewhere.

You may want to try these folks, because they surely know all about that unit;

You may have to call or e-mail, but I'm not sure they will help an individual for retail sale, as they are wholesale suppliers to the mobile home industry.

If you are going to have to wing-it all alone, you may want to try a gas fireplace vent kit and termination. But that may be quite risky, both for safety and functionality.

HTH, Lefty

Reply to
Lefty

This may give you a little more insight;

HTH, Lefty

Reply to
Lefty

Sorry the link did'nt work right. You'll have to look for page number 61

Reply to
Lefty

Have you tried the phone # on

Bob F

If no help there, try dealers or better, distributers.

Reply to
Bob F

When I had something similar in my trailer (80 percenter) the flue gas went up through the roof, and then six inches or so more. Thre was assembly up there to keep the rain out.

I'd suggest a similar set up. I used indoor air for the combustion. There was a bit of a hole in the floor, so it drew air from under the trailer for the combustion.

Of course, the manufacturer is a good idea. But, it sounds reasonable. Flue gasses too hot for PVC. Needs metal, but you wrote that below.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks. I tried one number but couldn't get through. Try again on Monday.

Reply to
Tony

Only problem is that it will be going 16' straight up, most of it through the unfinished attic and then not sure how far above the roof. And I hate putting holes in my new steel roof!

If I have a chance I'll try again on Monday.

Reply to
Tony

Dang, for $15 I'd be happy to buy a manual, but mine isn't offered. Figures.

I forgot to mention before that there is a blower for the combustion air. It's before the combustion, not sure if that is still called a "power vent" or not. Either way, with the blower it's not as if it needs to rely on a great natural draft.

Reply to
Tony