330-Square-Foot Apartment Holds 20 Rooms

"HONG KONG -- Space is at a premium in Hong Kong, one of the most densely populated places on Earth, where even window dimensions are included in the size of properties."

"One designer has taken that concept to the extreme and squeezed 20 rooms into a 330-square-foot apartment."

Video: (use full screen mode)

Oren

A higher resolution video on YouTube:

Very cool.

RicodJour

Cool indeed, but think about living there on a daily basis. I'm in no way putting down the guy's ingenuity and engineering ability, but we would certainly need to adapt our habits to live there.

When I boil pasta, I don't hang around the kitchen waiting for the water to boil or the pasta to cook. I do however check it on a regular basis. Going in and out of a room that sometimes exists, sometimes doesn't could get pretty inconvenient.

Trying to watch a football game while cooking would be next to impossible since you lose the TV (heck, you lose the TV *room*) when you use the kitchen counter.

You'd better make your popcorn *before* you start the movie. ;-)

I'm sure that there are many other ways that we multi-task in our stationary homes and apartments that couldn't be done in that place.

I wonder where he kept all his stuff while he was building the systems. Even more curious - think about trying to actually *install* the system in such a tight space. That must have been an engineering feat unto itself.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I remember that they did these experiments on mice or guinea pigs =96I don=92t remember which- in the 1970=92s where they were forced to breed in close quarters and after a while they started to attack and kill each other. No wonder every once in a while they go crazy and kill kindergarten children.

Reply to
Molly Brown

re: "No wonder every once in a while they go crazy and kill kindergarten children."

Who goes crazy and kills kindergarten children?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

the chinese. read the news lately?

Reply to
chaniarts

Anybody that started out with two mice, or rabbits, figured that out within a few generations. Self-limiting populations are the norm. It's stupid to think that humans are exempt.

Molloy is referring to the spate of Chinese student killings in the news. Copycat killings.

RicodJour

Obviously he didn't read those articles, so why are you asking?

RicodJour

The question was actually in reference to the sentence structure that Molly used.

Her paragraph discusses mice and guinea pigs and how *they* (the mice and guinea pigs) "started to attack and kill each other."

She then immediately followed that (in the same paragraph) with "No wonder every once in a while *they* go crazy and kill kindergarten children."

From a strictly English language perspective, that means that the mice and guinea pigs were killing the children.

P.S. Yes, I read the news often.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Common sense anyone? We aren=92t discussing mice or guinea pigs or even the Chinese on an alt.home.repair forum. We must most likely be discussing living space? What do you think?

Reply to
Molly Brown

Even an alligator will eat it's young.

Painting jail holding cells red / pink will cause the tenant too become more prone to violence.

Reply to
Oren

No NOT correct. The rodents did NOT start attacking their own UNTIL the population went over a threshold. If you want I can look up the article for you.

Reply to
Molly Brown

re: 'We aren=92t discussing mice or guinea pigs or even the Chinese on an alt.home.repair forum."

We aren't?

You brought up all three! (even if you did do it in an grammatically incorrect manner)

If fact, you continued to discuss the mice or guinea pigs when you responded with "The rodents did NOT start attacking their own UNTIL the population went over a threshold."

If that's not a discussion, what is?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Don't look it up.

..."Even an alligator will eat it's  young...."

Reply to
Oren

Reminds me of that GEICO "Tiny House" commercial.

-- Steven L.

Reply to
Steven L.

I remember reading about that, in my psych text books. Over crowding leads to agression -- like the gangs on the streets of Bronx. And like lab rats who go on the rampage and kill kindergarden children.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Lab rats, silly! Lab rats with assault rifles, and camoflauge BDUs.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon