21 Things a Burglar Won't Tell You

You may remember the Constitution busting "Patriot Act"? Section 802 "domestic terrorism" gives the Feds the wide reaching authority to declare almost anything "domestic terrorism" which then allows them to investigate.

Reply to
George

An amendment found in the Patriot Act defines domestic terrorism as "(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State; (B) appear to be intended? (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and (C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States."

See Section 802 here:

Which amends 18 USC 2331, the result of which is here:

HeyBub

Or in a full fledged furball. Saw a study once that indicated even cops sprayed their partners just as much as the perp when in a restraint situation.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

According to these links, it looks like both people were dealt with by the feds, one was given 30 months, the other 57 months.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

None of the above. There's no camera either... just a sign. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Right. What was that movie with Tommy Lee Jones as a prison warden who, in trying to escape the rioting mob, ran down the corridor to a locked door? He pulled out his teeny pepper spray can and tried to hose down about 50 rabid cons bent on bothering him.

Didn't work too well.

'Course guns aren't allowed in a prison...
Reply to
HeyBub

Thanks for refreshing my memory; a six-year old story loses something in storage.

Looks like the younger terrorist (14) got the 30 months, probably until he turned 17 or 18.

Still, as Dan Rather often says, "the facts were wrong, but the narrative was correct."

Reply to
HeyBub

Kurt Ullman wrote in news:kurtullman- snipped-for-privacy@70-3-168-216.pools.spcsdns.net:

"across the street" is generally not much of a threat. sure,there are exceptions...

Worse,it's too easy to get it in -your own- eyes and nose.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

FTP is usually the easiest way, but there are streaming methods as well. The advantage to FTP is you can re start it easily. With streaming it can be harder if your connection is lost. For short distances a (upto several miles) a point to point wireless connection could also work.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I actually do store a certain amount of video offsite. There are several methods, but the cheapest redundancy for most people IMO is to loop video to a 2nd recorder in a different part of the building.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Right. I don't mind *guidelines* that suggest when to not use deadly force, but these should not be enforcable with criminal or civil penalties. The previously-innocent victim deserves ALL of the benefit of the doubt. It's important to remember that the criminal *chose* to put themselves in the situation, and more importantly had time to plan, prepare, practice fighting moves, etc, while the innocent victim didn't choose to participate, and doesn't have the luxury of being prepared (at that specific instant). It's perfectly reasonable for the adrenalin rush of being forced to confront a goblin to cause someone to over-react in a way they might not if they had time to prepare, and they shouldn't be penalized for that.

And unless the criminal is willing to surrender *completely*, with

*no* chance of waiting for a moment of inattention to spring up or turn around and attack again, it may well be reasonable to kill a supposedly-fleeing-or-surrendering criminal.

I'm just not comfortable prosecuting (or allowing the family of a criminal to sue) a homeowner or other crime victim. Make it a "learning experience" to suggest good ways for others to handle in the future, sure, but that's as far as I'd go. People committing crimes simply don't have the same situational rights as others.

Josh

Reply to
Josh

That sounds good, but which federal statute would that be?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yep. I'm awarte of the so-called "Patriot" Act, which we agree was nothing but the Bush administration's way of ignoring things they don't like, such as the US Constitution. The definition of domestic terrorism in the act follows:

(a) DOMESTIC TERRORISM DEFINED- Section 2331 of title 18, United States Code, is amended-- (1) in paragraph (1)(B)(iii), by striking `by assassination or kidnapping' and inserting `by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping'; (2) in paragraph (3), by striking `and'; (3) in paragraph (4), by striking the period at the end and inserting `; and'; and (4) by adding at the end the following: `(5) the term `domestic terrorism' means activities that-- `(A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State; `(B) appear to be intended-- `(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; `(ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or `(iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and `(C) occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States.'. (b) CONFORMING AMENDMENT- Section 3077(1) of title 18, United States Code, is amended to read as follows: `(1) `act of terrorism' means an act of domestic or international terrorism as defined in section 2331;'.

Reading that I see nothing related to the story posted in this thread, which I suspect might be modern urban legend (aka bullshit).

Reply to
Robert L Bass

IOW, there was never a charge of "domestic terrorism." The kid was a common thief and he got a 2-1/2 year sentence. That sounds about average, perhaps even a bit light considering there was arson involved.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Per Bob La Londe:

Is the camera is constantly creating the same video file and something else cuts it into chunks to FTP? Or does the camera start a new file every do often? Or am I totally off base?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

I see you reach conclusions about the Patriot Act the same way you reach conclusions about the truthfullness of the story.

The original posting was (mostly) true. Here's how you can tell:

  • I posted it, and
  • Doug went to the trouble to find the original story and posted two links:

Would you like some links regarding the actual workings of the Patriot Act?

Reply to
HeyBub

Well, you're right in that juveniles are not "charged" with anything like an adult would be. They get sent away for "supervision," not for the act that caused the ruckus. The U.S. Attorney only had to make the case that a federal interest was involved. He could do that with the terrorism angle, or that the arson involved affected something that moved in interstate commerce, or any number of other "hooks."

Reply to
HeyBub

Two big mutts - and while they tear them apart - I can lock and load.

Reply to
Dymphna

They make them up as they go along. Pointing your finger at one of the royal federal servants is now considered terrorism. If you send them a letter and talcum powder happens to get on it, you will be charged with terrorism.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Usually the way it works is the camera software updates the same file name when it sees motion (pixel change) and the FTP client sees the file time/date change and uploads it. That is how Fling works anyway.

Reply to
gfretwell