21 Things a Burglar Won't Tell You

There is a free program called DorGem210

lets you configure your web cam for motion detection and save photos on your system and also to a remote FTP site. It can handle multiple web cams. So even if your computer is stolen you can access the FTP site with another computer and send the burglars pictures to the police. You should also upload all your serial numbers of computers, guns and anything else to a remote FTP site. There are some other free programs that do this too. AbleCam is another.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

The only time I've taken the pictures to the police dep't. was when a city code enforcement officer was walking around taking pictures of my property. He wasn't wearing a uniform and his truck was parked out of sight. After that episode it became mandatory for inspectors to be in uniform and ask for permission to enter private property. It created quite a stir in our little community of 3500 people. I really only have two 'live' cameras, and three 'dummies'. It's amusing that in most of the photos, people are looking right into the lens.

Reply to
1D10T

LOL

Reply to
Cheri

I see you're posting from Kansas.

In 2007, your governor signd a "Castle Doctrine" bill which allows the use of deadly force against a home intruder - without warning or the duty to retreat (the new law also does away with the need to obtain a permit prior to buying a handgun).

Kansas does not seem to have a statute specifically authorizing the use of deadly force to protect the property of another. It does, however, have a general force statute on "citizen's arrest."

"21-3216: Private person's use of force in making arrest. (1) A private person who makes, or assists another private person in making a lawful arrest is justified in the use of any force which he would be justified in using if he were summoned or directed by a law enforcement officer to make such arrest, except that he is justified in the use of force likely to cause death or great bodily harm only when he reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or another..."

If you get a chance, look up "Joe Horn" to see how other jurisdictions handle similar situations.

Reply to
HeyBub

TALLAHASSEE ? Florida's "stand your ground" law allows the use of deadly force for self-protection even if an attacker or intruder is in retreat, an appellate court said Wednesday. (8/20/09)

A three-judge panel of the 1st District Court of Appeal issued that explanation for releasing Jimmy Hair from jail last month. Hair had spent two years awaiting trial on a first-degree murder charge.

Oren

on 9/8/2009 6:40 PM (ET) Oren wrote the following:

Just as a little tidbit. Last week, I went to the Orange County, NY, County Office building to renew my vehicle registration. On the same floor as the MV office, there is a small room where pistol permits applications are issued. There was a line of about 10 people there, both male and female. First time I have ever seen anyone in line there.

Reply to
willshak

Per 1D10T:

How you do dat?

CQC? mControl? Something else?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Try to buy ammo in Fl. Very hard to find certain some types. Walmart is usually out. Some folks are buying .22 long rifle to use as money when it may become necessary.

Reply to
Chuck

Hard wire. Sat uplink. Parabolic dish to a remote receiver. Fiber optic cable. Tin cans on a string.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

willshak wrote in news:RoudnSVQgeoPeTvXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@supernews.com:

from the article; The new law amended Florida's existing "Castle Doctrine" that allows people to use deadly force to defend themselves and others in their homes against the threat of death or great bodily harm.

It extends that right to public spaces including the street or a business and removes a duty to retreat before using deadly force.

BTW,Florida allows guns in cars without a permit,providing the gun is "securely encased";meaning it can be in a closed glovebox or center console with shut lid. It cannot be merely tucked under a seat,ie;"readily available".

One thing many people don't realize;legal permit holders are the LAST people one needs to fear;they have an excellent record established over several years.The level of permit revocations,in every state that allows carry permits,for ALL reasons,is miniscule.THEY aren't the ones committing crimes,or threatening/endangering people.

Police are more law-breaking than concealed carry permit holders.

Criminals prefer unarmed victims. Police are never around when you truly need them.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

As soon as it is a file on your hard drive, FTPing to a web site is trivial. There are dozens of free FTP clients on the net.

Reply to
gfretwell

Many years ago, in Florida, you had to "retreat to the wall". That meant no offensive shooting. It was a last resort, before you shot.

Florida allowed weapon carry in a vehicle years ago. The idea was to not punish those that carried under the "concealed weapons law". Find a gun in the glove or trunk you went the jail.-*

Eventually, a loaded weapon (pistol) would be carried in the zippered case (leather and lamb wool). You could place the case anywhere as long as a "reasonable and prudent" law enforcement knew/could see it. No more charge of "concealed weapon".

Everglades National park rangers told me to put my pistol in the tackle box. Yeah okay.

Gators might attack your boat or eat you fish.

Reply to
Oren

Steve,

Take the class in Las Vegas (on Rancho). The instructor teaches NV/UT and is certified. Maybe the same cost for just the UT lesson and you get both permits?

Reply to
Oren

It's good that the sign warns "video stored off-site".

A few years ago, a couple of Maine teen-agers broke into a boat shed at a boat repair shop. Their plan was to steal the radios from the boats to listen in on police frequencies. Half-way through the caper, they noticed the video camera.

What to do?

They burnt the boat shed to the water line!

Fortunately, the video was off-site and it took the local fuzz about two minutes to identify the culprits. Then it got bad.

One of the boats belonged to George H.W. Bush and the Secret Service got on the case. The 17-year old they let the state handle. After restitution, he got five years probation.

The 16-year old was charged with domestic terrorism and sentenced to the only maximum security federal prison for juveniles, somewhere in Pennsylvania, until he turns 25.

So there he is, locked up for nine years with (mostly) drunk Indians.

Crime don't pay.

Reply to
HeyBub

' BTDT. Mr. Irving is my last instructor, and he does all the Internal Affairs Officer shootings in Metro's jurisdiction. Or at least, he DID at last contact. Relatives that I cannot name are embedded in Metro. Yet, Utah does not recognize Nevada, although Nevada recognizes Utah. It is a costly process, about $75, a day of my life, that I care not to go through again for the convenience of carrying in Nevada. I just carry pepper spray, and as all my handguns are already legally registered in Nevada, it would be a drastic situation if I ever had to prove culpability. I'd just make a phone call.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Although I have great opposite of sympathy to burglars and attackers, I would support deadly force laws requiring you to not shoot perps that surrender to you for following arrest by police (call 9-1-1 - "I am holding a burglar at gunpoint for arrest - please send cops!").

Don Klipstein

Hmm. What federal law was that?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

ummm. domestic terrorism?

Reply to
JImbo

Why?

If such a law were in place, the situation could easily develop wherein you, in honest fear of your life, popped a do-bad and had to defend yourself against the claim "he was trying to surrender!"

Conversely, if the goblin knows he's going to die, surrender or no, he might as well keep resisting.

It's not an easy call on an individual case.

I come down on the side of killing them - just for the deterrence possibility.

Reply to
HeyBub

Pepper spray doesn't work on crack-heads, in the rain, when the wind is blowing the wrong way, across the street, or in any number of other circumstances that are irrelevant to a bullet.

Reply to
HeyBub