2 stage heat-pumps - any problems?

Anyone have any negative experience on any particular brand/model of 2 stage heat pump?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Alan

dunno... Rheem/RUUD doesn't have them on the streets yet......for that matter, I can't even get pricing on them.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I REALLY like my 2-stage heat pump. It's a Trane XL1800 installed in

2003. The only thing done to it since the install is maintenance. So far it has been flawless, and my electric bill has exceeded $100 only once - last month.

I have a TTZ9036, TWE040E13, 15KW heat kit, Honeywell TZ-4, four T8611 stats. House is divided into four zones: Master bedroom, kids bedroom, living/den/kitchen, and my office.

OD unit has two compressors. Using those with the electric backup heat provides 3 stages of heat and two for cooling.

Something like this should retail for $9500 (or so).

Robert

Reply to
Robert Worcester

Another item that comes to mind is the "Cold Climate Heat Pump" (CCHP), by Nyle Specialty, Bangor, Maine. It was developed for use as a heat source in cold climates, where typically heat pumps have not been used. Below a certain outside air temperature, the second stage kicks in. There is defrost control, of course. There was one report of an installation in the upper midwest that had the unit performing well, without backup electric resistance heat, at something like 30 below one unusual morning.

Reply to
Dick Russell

Well now, we can all believe our own little pipe dreams, cant we? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba