how to tell if my heat pump is multi-stage or not?

Hi group!

I have a heat pump made by International Comfort Products Corp. The "brand" tag has been removed. The model is TCH036AKC1.

I have installed a programmable thermostat and don't know which setting to use:

*Heat Pump: single-stage heat pump (no backup or auxiliary heat) *Multi-stage heat pump: heat pump with backup or auxiliary heating

Ideas on which option to choose? Thanks!!!

Courtney

Reply to
courtneyburge

Your welcome. So do you think we have a crystal ball or what? WTF kinda back up heat DO you have? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

The question is ... how would I know? The former owner took all the paperwork pertaining to the system. Is there a way to tell or not?

Reply to
courtneyburge

How would we know??? You can't even tell us what kind of, or even IF you have back-up heat. We can't *see* it from here. Your local, competent, licensed, insured, professionally trained, HVAC technician can tell you exactly what you have and will probably have the correct thermostat for your system on his/her truck. While the tech is there, you may want to have the system checked and serviced.

Reply to
Noon-Air

Whoa, chill out HVAC-man.

You're right I can't tell you if I have back-up heat. THAT WAS MY QUESTION.

You're right you can't *see* it from here. But I can. So, what would I look for??? [Never mind, please don't answer. Clearly, one must go through a rigorous HVAC training regimen and learn the secret handshake before such knowledge can be conferred.]

I already have the correct thermostat for "my system". The thermostat works for many systems--it is a Honeywell RTH7000 series. I just don't know which setting I need to put it on.

Sorry I asked.

Reply to
courtneyburge

Have you aked the manufacturer??

Cheers

Richard

Reply to
r.bartlett

It has nothing to do with a "secret handshake" or any other such bullshit. Nobody can tell you what setting to put it on without knowing what the back-up heat is. Is it gas?? is it electric?? Does it even *HAVE* any back-up heat?? You have only given us HALF of the needed information to give you what you want. Get it???

Reply to
Noon-Air

T = Tempstar division of ICP, owned by UT.

This is a single stage HP but, that isn't all of the required information you need to pick a system configuration.

Reply to
<kjpro

He has his mind made up, you can&#39;t confuse him with the facts.

Reply to
Noon-Air

I thought I&#39;d try. :-)

Reply to