Subject Author Posted Replies

Putting up fence - Do I need a boundry survey?
I have been getting quotes over $2,000 for a survey. Is this normal? Something I really need for a basic fence?
69
69

Granite & Radon?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
Been hearing rumblings of radon gas emisions from granite countertops and wanted to see what other people have experienced as it appears the manufactured counter top folks profess it's a great...
16
16

Possible water damage, conclusion and report back.
Thanks for all your help with my possible water damage bathroom. It's now fixed, for less than the $1,000 I told you. The guy did a lot more than caulking everything up. There were baseboard...

making gas furnace more efficient trick?
I heard that adjusting the gas valve on my standard natural gas furnace will make it more efficient. By partially closing the gas valve reduces the flame. Although the furnace would run longer, the...
33
33

Painting new prepainted downspouts ? DTM paint?
Hello I just got new gutters and downspouts installed prepainted Aluminum 30 White. I am painting the house and wanted to paint the downspouts the color of the home. I will leave the gutters white....
2
2

Water activated switch
Hi group, I've been looking (but not extremely hard!) for a switch I can use to trigger the pump I'm using to drain water from a low spot in my yard. On heavy rains I get several inches in an...
17
17

Thermostat - Possible to Adjust
We recently moved into a home with a natural gas fired furnace, air conditioning and a 'White Rogers' thermostat. The temperature displayed on the thermostat is off about 8 degrees Fahrenheit....
30
30

Cleaning dryer duct
I have an apt bldg that needs some dryer ducts cleaned. I was told by one company they used high pressure, didn't say how much pressure, air to blow out the duct (some are 20 ft) I have never...
7
7

Comparing NG furnaces
Hi, best group on Usenet! I'm getting proposals on a new gas furnace to replace ancient oil burner. Looking at Coleman and Carrier & will also look at Trane. All will be highest EFU available....
4
4

paint question
I recently purchased 5 gallons (in 5 separate cans) of Behr latex paint from Home Depot. Looking back, I probably should have purchased a single 5 gallon container, but I initially felt that I would...
4
4

HVAC -- Ductless versus Central Air Upgrade ???
We're converting our 300 sq ft garage into a family room. Trying to decide between a running $2,000 worth of duct versus buying a $4,000 ductless mini-split system. My preference is to go duct and...
8
8

Slightly OT: Neighborhood foreclosures and my home repairs
{Sorry if this topic was explored here before} As I understand the local rumors, my neighborhood has just had its 4th home sold by way of foreclosure at about $50,000 USD below what I owe on my...
29
29

Soldering in tight spaces
Hi, In the followling picture, you are looking up at an overhead soffit where I have to insert tees in the 1/2" copper lines running across the picture. it doable or is just too tight to undertake...
20
20

Remodeling home...consult architect or interior designer first?
DH & I are planning on remodeling our very tiny galley kitchen and adjoining family room by expanding out about 8 feet. The problem is, neither one of us has an eye for what goes together. We both...
3
3

Copper pipe epoxy relining opinions - does anyone have actual experience?
Our copper pipes are developing pinhole leaks - usual story. Got epoxy relining estimates from the big names - Ace DuraFlo, NuFlow, CuraFlo. They are similarly priced +/- 10% of each other. I...
29
29