Subject Author Posted Replies

More Garage Door Woes
use a lithium based lubricant. it could be binding that tricks the sensor that is used to detect obstacles.
6
6

Electric Oven Repair -- Element question
The heating element is just resistance wire so it doesn't make any difference.
16
16

Roof Engineering Question
I have a question about the structure of my attic roof. As it stands now, the roof beams are given some additional support from beams (2x4) that are parallel to the floor and which are nailed into the...
12
12

Help! Boiler choices?
------------------------------------- Does anyone have experience with the Biasi oil-fired boiler? Am changing out an really old worn out system and am installing a wood/coal boiler as the primary...
2
2

Multi-master $40
Well, not the original, but Harbor Freight has one during their "Black Friday" sale. It's sorta does the same things: $39.99. Other unbeatable bargains: Daisy BB gun - $19.95 French-fry potato...

touchup paint kitch cabinets, or must reface?
What about small areas of wear on wooden oak kitchen cabinets - is it possible to repaint only about 10% of worn areas without looking too patchy? There is a lot of 3d on the surface, so I hate to...
6
6

Re: how many pier blocks for shed foundation
locally no footer equals lower taxes. my shed is 16 by 20 with a 10 foot cieling 12 feet to peak. 75 bucks a year to property tax. neighbors who built wood floors now regret it. my shed requires...
1
1

Re: how many pier blocks for shed foundation
you far better off with a concrete slab, it will last forever, never rot etc. doesnt absorb stuff like oil spills, cant burn. and animals cant build a home under your sheds crawlspace. this wouldnt...
3
3

question about hanging doors
Have a bit of a problem....I am planning to hang French type doors in between old area of home and new addition. Plan to make door jam myself as cost of pre-hung doors was quite high. Have purchased...
3
3

can cold damage a house?
aside from the obvious of water pipes freezing, can cold damage a house? I don't know what might occur, wallpaper peeling or plaster cracking or whatever. If damage can occur, at what temperature...
18
18

Are these floor joists nice or not?
The only problem I see are the gremlins that steal little children. (sorry but only I can see them.) http://www.kptv.com/news/17951905/detail.html
3
3

Heating Oil Prices
I don't really know much about how the retail home delivery heating oil industry works. But, the recent plummet in crude prices has me wondering what kind of fun and games are going to take place...
20
20

Thermostat Hookup
ok, few electical questions. First I'll briefly explain what I'm trying to do. Hooking up a thermostat for infloor heating in kitchen, existing house, not new. So we are installing a new Range...
4
4

Central Air replacement
Located in coastal SC, central air unit installed in 2000, no heat pump (hair dryer type heating element I suspect). I am considering soo replacing unit with a more efficient unit, and heat pump,...
6
6

CFL question
I have a CFL bulb that is NOT the twisty type. It has several parallel sections inside of a glass cover that makes it look somewhat like an incandescent bulb. The glass cover has a small break - a...
9
9