Subject Author Posted Replies

support underneath old brick load bearing wall
I have a brick loadbearing wall that runs down the center of my house in the crawlspace. The bottom of the wall sits on the dirt crawlspace floor (no footer). I have dug out the dirt under a small...
5
5

Deck Stripping & Staining
Hello, Im about to strip & stain my deck..and just had a few questions. I have some cracks in the wood that are about 1/8 inch think and about 1 inch deep in spots. Only like 3 or 4 boards are...
7
7

Whirlpool Washer problem on start up
I have a Whirpool washer (top loader) that having an issue with. Each time we do a wash the top door of the washer has to be slammed to get it going. Now it is hit and miss. Any idea what I need to do...
6
6

Heavy duty extension cord repair
Just sliced a cord with a hedge trimmer. I am going to fix it but decided a few tips from experienced folks might be a good idea. I am pretty handy. TIA Lou
19
19

Loose duplex socket
Spouse complained of a loose outlet. It turns out that holes in the box for mounting the outlet are broken out. The box is a gray plastic one and the 6-32 screws do not have anything to bite into as...
6
6

Motor Overheating?
Hi, This actually goes along with my previous post about Lawn Tractor Battery/Charging issue but experience tells me it's best to separate things like this. Motor Overheats. This lawn tractor is...
13
13

Lawn Tractor Battery/charging issue (longish)
HI, 20 HP B&S engine, 42" deck, 12V Exide Battery abt 1 1/2 years old. I thought about taking this to a battery forum/group but IME you get a lot better reality check here. I accidentally left my lawn...
9
9

Insulating basement walls, what is best method?
A few days ago there was a topic of insulating basement walls. There was discussion of what was best. Someone pointed out using 1" XPS foam board directly on the concrete walls, then using R13. . So...
6
6

Water Hammer Question For Kitchen Sink ?
Hello, Have the typical Delta single-handle faucet for the kitchen sink. At least 10 yrs old. Has the single good size ball type of valve inside the handle. Whenever we turn it ON, the hot or cold,...
10
10

painting "plytanium dryply" plywood?
I'm thinking of using G-P "Plytanium Dryply" as roof sheathing. This roof has an 'open' overhang, where the underside of the sheathing is exposed. The plywood would be installed with the...
3
3

Hot tub flush mounted into deck; where to put snaps for the cover?
As I've mentioned in other threads, I'm having my deck rebuilt, and a part of the design brings the deck so that it's just about even with the top of the hot tub. Sort of like this: looks...
1
1

Burnt Wire
I am currently in the process of house shopping. This is my first house, so budget is everything. I found a nice home in my target area well within my budget. Reading the spec sheet, I noticed the...
18
18

Full house cartridge filters - life span?
We have a rural cabin with a well, which unfortunately taps a pretty mean iron vein. Our tap water had significant metallic taste and water would eventually leave a pink residue as the iron oxidized....
7
7

Hide or get scratches out of laminate floor?
Hide or get scratches out of laminate floor Anyone with experience. Floor is less than three years old. TIA Lou
4
4

Husqvarna lawn tractors
Went shopping today for a new lawn tractor. Stopped first at the big box stores and Sears. Funny how all their offerings really looked the same - just MTD's with different labels. An independent...
14
14