Subject Author Posted Replies

A thermostat that's not buuuuutt ugly
Hi, I'm looking for a thermostat that has the same function as the broan 86w: is not that ugly. Something that could fit in a decora faceplate would be ideal. If it comes in black that would be...
3
3

Chinese Drywall Houses - Will you DO ONE?
We all heard of Chinese drywalls and their issues. Recently I saw two properties in south Florida being listed for sale and they have this "CHINESE DRYWALL DISCLAIMER" with them. Being sold at a...
4
4

Milwaukee sawzall stopped working
I have a sawzall 6509-22 and it worked great for a year...until I decided to use it to tackle a project in the dirt. I had to work on some sprinkler pipes and buried cast iron lines and used it for...
3
3

display utility voltage?
Hi All, Anyone know of a voltage meter I can plug into and sit in an electrical outlet that will display my utility voltage? (No luck with Google.) Many thanks, -T
34
34

OT Still in the Stone Age rant
I have a fax machine. It is much easier to fax something than it is to mail it or deliver it in person. I got a prescription from the doctor yesterday. My doctor is 60 miles from my house. My pharmacy...
30
30

Pests promoted to protected priority
"D.C. residents might want to think twice before they use a broom to try to swat that bat in their garage or set out rat traps to ensnare the opossum living under their porch. After being at the...
3
3

re-wiring house cable, stuck
Hi... Our house was wired for cable when it was built in the 70's with old rg59. On top of that, they horseshoe nailed the cable to the studs. I started re-wiring it with rg6 but ran into a snag...
20
20

Hot Water Furnace Additive?
After draining my gas hot water boiler system, is there any sort of water additive I should add (e.g. anti-corrosive) when I refill it? And if so, how? Thanks!
19
19

DIY incubator?
I keep my house temperature low to save money. However, fruits take longer to ripen, so I'm going to make an incubator to put the fruits in. It's really simple. I need these parts: (1)...
2
2

OT: How are foreclosure papers served?
The sheriff's office has visited my neighbor twice in the last couple of years. Last one was yesterday. Do deputies serve the papers? I'd hate to lose him as a neighbor. It's taken me...
10
10

Clean burning wood - is this a pipedream?
No central heating, so I used to occasionally start a fire in my livingroom fireplace. The wood I burned was from my two plum trees, using some white paper scrap from my scrap printer paper to start...
13
13

Smoke detectors
I have some 20 y/o hard-wired smoke detectors that I want to replace with newer hard-wired ones. How do I figure out which circuit breaker to trip or is this an issue with smoke detectors?
39
39

Tips on insulating garage
I have been tearing out the old paneling and insulation from my garage (built in the 1940's) This is a red brick with 1/2 tongue and grove and 2x4 framing. This is a detached type - no living...
7
7

framing around ductwork: before/after pics
A few weeks ago I asked advice on framing around my ductwork in a room I am renovating in my basement. I originally was going to leave the ductwork as is, but after some thought I decided to tackle...
7
7

Battery Charger Questions
I have a cordless drill using NiCad bateries. They died a few weeks ago and last week I got two new batteries. I fully charged one, used it and waited till it was fully drained, and started charging...
13
13