15 minutes or more for draining

A few years ago I had bath Fitters install a complete acrylic wall and tub over my outdated blue tub. As the installer was messing around the drain ar ea, which was exactly over the old area with the same drain, I had some bad vibes that draining may become a problem, but I let it go thinking well th ey must know what they are doing. sure enough I had no problem till this ye ar when I take a showwer it seems to take forever to drain. Now there is no long hair involved which is known for screwing up drainage especially in a shower. I can;t use a snake or a plunger, i tried. It has a round escutche on above the drain...never messed around with such a drain...I suspect ther e is a connection to that drain from that area. Anyone know how it works, s o i can get easier way of snaking or even use a plunger..i need to get the top cover off that drain.

Reply to
novel

A picture of the drain cover would help. Post it at a picture hosting site e.g. PhotoBucket and then post a link here.

Is there access to the drain from outside the bathroom, either in a hallway or from underneath?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Hair is only one cause of drain bacjip. Soap scum buildup, minerals, short hair conditioner residue, etc. Since the drain was working for a while it is probably a scum type of problem rather than a mechanical problem.

It try a liquid drain cleaner. If that works, repeat the treatment every couple of months to keep it clear.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Acid, or hydroxide? Each is effective on different clogs.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Yep, I have to do that once or twice a year...the liquid usually works well

Reply to
philo

Liquid Plumber?

Reply to
willshak

Acid or alkalai? What likely cause of clog?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I use Alkalai such as Liquid Plumr

It's got to be my wife's hair as I am pretty darn bald.

Reply to
philo