Subject Author Posted Replies

Entry Door Install - Rough Opening Too Short?
The supplier I plan on getting my 36 x 80 door from said the RO should be 38 1/2 x 82 1/2. I pulled the trim around the existing door and as best I can tell I have 38 1/2 x 81 3/4. That's 3/4 too...
10
10

Water heaters
I had to replace my water heater today. The old one developed a leak somewhere, don't know exactly but enough to make a 3-4 foot puddle every day. Wouldn't have been so bad except the old one...
11
11

dryer problem
My old Kenmore electric dryer stopped turning off and stopped emitting heat, all at once. I put a load in before bed and woke up with it still spinning, cold. Do I have one problem to fix, or two?
17
17

CFL vs Incandescent fixture rating
SWMBO just bought a new table lamp for the desk in our computer room. This lamp will be replacing one that uses two (2) 75 watt Incandescent bulbs. This new lamp uses only one (1) bulb. The label says...
20
20

One last clock
Don't you hate that? Go around and change all the clocks. And a couple days later, there is one more you forgot. This semi annual clock change, I missed one of the clocks indoors. And then a...
15
15

Water heater wire - conduit or romex?
I'm putting in a new cold water heater along with the wire to run it. I will be using 10 gauge solid with a ground wire, and stapling it to the joists in the crawl space under the house. The old...
54
54

House Electrical Problem
It started the other night. Several lights that are on the same breaker started blinking on and off. After a while the blinking got more frequent and then they started staying off longer. Then they...
19
19

Long Shot, Virginia Beach Roofers?
A friend asked for recommendations on local roofers but our previous one is out of business (retired after 47 years). He's got storm damage from the Nor'Easter (remnants of Hurricane Ida hit...

Making outdoor conduit watertight
Did a small job yesterday making a short run of outdoor conduit watertight; homeowner gave me the connectors (elbows and compression fittings) and had me replace the existing ones. The compression...
15
15

Windmill go boom
Posted in another newsgroup. You don't get an idea of the scale of the thing until it goes over.
61
61

What Size Electric Drop Is This?
I'm curious what size the drop between utility pole and top of the service entrance is. I'm *not* taking any actions based on answers given. Single family home built in 1957. There's a...
3
3

Non-Running Poulin Leaf Blower
I am helping a neighbor with this. The blower ran then would die after a few seconds, now won't start or fire at all. He has put in a new plug, new air filter, new fuel filter. When the priming...
5
5

converting to LPG??
I have an oil furnace that needs replacing within the next year, and there is no gas supply to this whole n'hood. Can I and is it worth the money to use bottled gas, LPG, or whatever it is called,...
36
36

Kitchen cabinet warehouse remodel. (under 5k?)
Below are the pictures of my current kitchen that is the original when the home was built in 1985. I plan on trying to do the complete remode with some type of upgraded countertop for less than 5k....
4
4

[SOLVED] Noisy door knob
Let's just say I have disturbed sleep on many nights. When I get up for a while to get sleepy again, I almost always awaken my wife who is a light sleeper because our cheap bedroom door knob makes...
18
18