Non-Running Poulin Leaf Blower

I am helping a neighbor with this. The blower ran then would die after a few seconds, now won't start or fire at all. He has put in a new plug, new air filter, new fuel filter. When the priming bulb is pushed, it fills with gas. I removed the air filter, set the engine to choke, over-primed the engine to see if I could get gas to squirt out around the butterfly. Looked pretty dry in there and little gas smell. Although I suspect the engine is not getting gas, he tells me he poured gas/oil in the plug hole and it still wouldn't fire. I have not attempted to rule out electrical beyond the plug. This blower gets extremely heavy use and he has had it about a year. Your ideas would be much appreciated. Thank you! Frank

Reply to
frank1492

Carb is gummed up. When he tried to pour pre-mix in the plug hole he inadvertantly wet the plug, so it still didn't start, but for a different reason than the original problem. Take the carb off, dissassemble completely and clean it properly. That means soaking it in real carb cleaner, and then blowing compressed air through all passages and jets. After it is all cleaned and blown out, do it again. Then put everyting back together.

Reply to
salty

Few things:

Check that the mixture screw(s) are set correctly.

Ensure the plug is gapped properly, and also check the plug cap and the plug wire terminal ( shine them with small piece of sand paper ).

Is the plug firing a nice blue spark (snappy -pull it, attach wire and ground to metal)? Pull the cord and see.

Go from there...

Reply to
Oren

PBV series? Check that the cylinder & carb are not loose & that that the compression is ok.

MikeB

Reply to
BQ340

I bought one of their chainsaws and spent more time fixing it than running it!

Then I bought a Stihl and end of problem. These are not cheap, but you get what you pay for...

Reply to
Bill

Thanks all. He hasn't been around. Attempting to get the model number to see if he has the "classic" problem with loose carburetor/head or if it's a gummed carburetor or coil. Will report back when I get a look.

Reply to
frank1492