$14,000 worth of chutzpah

It's autumn and heating season is nearly upon us. One of my elderly widowed neighbors called a local hvac contractor who advertises a 'special homeowners program' promising all kinds of rebates and assistance to get the costs down. She's got a small rambler, and told the company that she wanted both the a/c and furnace replaced.

Their quote, after all the supposed rebates and special cash rebates: $14,000. $5,000 each for the a/c and furnace install, and another $4,000 to remove the old equipment.

I'm glad I talked to her and learned about this out before she signed that contract. The company who just installed a furnace for me, who went out of their way to discuss the install options, and were polite and helpful, will be hearing from her. We've already had one other contractor come out who has made a much more reasonable bid of $6,800 for the job. I'm thinking of calling the BBB or Attorney General's office about the first contractor.

HellT

Reply to
Hell Toupee

"Hell Toupee" wrote

. I'm thinking of calling the BBB or Attorney General's

Do the absolute meanest nastiest thing you can do. Report them to the local TV station. They deserve it.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Agree!