Subject Author Posted Replies

Seven most outrageous HOA rules
No-flag rule: "After receiving support from members of Congress, and even the Obama administration, Medal of Honor recipient Van T. Barfoot, who once singlehandedly took on three Nazi tanks, triumphed...
90
90

Oiling a fan
I have an old window fan, maybe 50 yrs old that works great but it hasnt been oiled or used in maybe 20 years. Today I put it to use in a window. Its a quality unit US made of course with a large...
4
4

Asphalt Driveway Over Gravel: Why The Gravel ?
Hello, Was just wondering about this. It is pretty well accepted, apparently, that a new asphalt driveway for a residence should be laid over about 4" to 6" of gravel. Never over soil directly. Why ?...
24
24

Energy Saving Tips
1. Reduce heater's room temperature For each extra degree (Celsius) of temperature, your heater will consume 7 to 11% more energy. Adjust it to 18degrees which is also better for your health. 2....
11
11

What holds my shingles on?
Hip Roof Composition shingles. In the attic, there are a zillion nails sticking through the roof. Presume these hold on the shingles. But outside, around the perimeter, there's two feet or so of wood...
8
8

My father-in-law helped me fix my garage door!
My wife's parents were in town for the weekend and her father helped me fix my garage door. The problem began in July when one of the cables that attaches to the big spring on one side of the garage...
2
2

multi tool, Harbor Freight and swearing
Ran out to HF (not close) to get an electric multi tool. They had three models and I got the "top" model as I think this may get a lot of use. It does nothing. I'm not thinking well of Chicago Tools...
50
50

pressure washer maintenance
I've been given an Excell vertical shaft 6HP (2 gpm 2100psi) pressure washer. doesn't look like it's had much use and no obvious abuse. It has an unknown history. Runs fine but dies 10 seconds after...
7
7

Sears SST water softener timer battery.
Wondering if anyone had success changing the rechargable battery? Last time I looked for parts from Sears they weren't available. Thanks, Patrick.

In-Ground Pool Pump Feed Problem
I realize this is not directly related to the purpose of this group, so if you know of a better place for me to ask, please let me know. We have a problem with our Pentair-WhisperFlo pool pump. It is...
18
18

Proper height of Baseboard
Getting ready to have carpet installed and I want to know the proper height to install the baseboard from the floor (Short shag or berber). I have seen this question posted before, but I don't believe...
22
22

arborvitae
i recently built a small raised flower bed that i want to plant an arborvitae in. the height of the flower bed is about the same size of the rootball so i wondering if its okay to place the plant in...
6
6

whazzit, how much?
I scored five propane tanks today for $20. Mfr date '06 stamped on collar. I thought they were forklift tanks, as I had used a ton of those in the past, but these do not have the empty/full gauge in...
4
4

Unclogging Drains
Which drains require you to get on the roof? E.g., I unclogged a bathroom tub with a snake via the overflow plate opening. It wasn't necessary to mount the roof. Yet plumbers do get on the roof for...
4
4

Disabling HotStop Faucet
I have a HotStop faucet that I would like to disable. I bought it because it was the only faucet available that was long enough to fit on our whirlpool tub in the master bath, but I want to be able to...
2
2