12 mil laminate

I'm trying to match thickness of laminate flooring. What part of laminate is

12 mil?
Reply to
don &/or Lucille

All of it!

12 mil is almost a half inch (25.4 mil/inch), quite thick for laminate flooring.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

Do you mean 12 mm (millimeters)? In trade jargon a mil is 0.001" so

0.012" would be rather thin.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

That could be the thickness of the laminate coating on top of the MDF board. The OP needs to clarify his measurements or what he is talking about.

Reply to
EXT

I am assumed mm, but I copied the mil. My mistake, and probably the ops as well.

All the laminate I've seen is speced in total thickness and in mm.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I believe one mil is one thousandth of an inch. If so, 12 mil, about the thickness of 4 sheets of paper would probably just refer to the surface thickness of the laminate.

Reply to
Frank

That seems like a reasonable number for the photographic layer, so perhaps.

But I see that 12mm laminate is not uncommon (not that I've seen it), so it seems more likely the OP is mistaken.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Thies

I installed 12 mil laminate last year. It is very close to 1/2 inch. thick.

Reply to
Johnl

I just did one googling and saw Armstrong laminates were nearly a half inch. I still think mil is one thousandth of an inch or folks are mixing mil and mm.

Reply to
Frank

Reply to
don &/or Lucille