12 cu ft frost free fridge not cooling properly

There are no indications of a leak anywhere. If I saw an oily spot somewhere on the floor or in the fridge, I'd certainly investigate. So, it might be a worn out compressor, but in that case it's more economical to buy a new fridge anyway.

'Storm> ;3261612']

They won't allow me to "top up" the refrigerant charge without finding and fixing the leak, and that part is gonna cost a few hundred dollars cuz of the requirement to evacuate the sealed system and find and fix the leak before adding refrigerant.

Well, now I got lots of spare parts for my other fridges.

Reply to
nestork

Buy a new energy star fridge. It'll pay for itself in a few years.

Reply to
Adán Hierro

Worn out compressor is big decision time. After all this consideration, would be nice to get the amp draw, and see what the pressures are like. But, I doubt that will happen.

Would you like a few thoughts on which brands I like, and which I do not?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

No. I'm going to be buying a GE "builder's brand" because I get a discount on them since I'm continuously buying appliances. I can buy a new 12 cu. ft. fridge for about $400. That same fridge will normally sell for about $475.

Reply to
nestork

As the big headed creatures in Star Trek said to Kirk "May your way be as pleasant".

Please write back when it breaks, so I can have a rare Rush Limbaugh SITYS moment.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I take it that this is meant to mean that you don't like the new style of GE 12 cubic foot fridges?

I have two of them in my building now, soon to be 3, and so far the only thing I don't like about them is that the defrost timer is located at the back of the fridge near the compressor; an unneccesarily hard location to access.

Reply to
nestork

Please post any more updates, as time goes on.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm wondering how people can live with a 12 cu. ft. refrigerator these days. Few dollars more for an 18 cu. ft.

I guess I'm an energy hog with a 22, 18 and a18 freezer.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Eek, you must be an American?

Reply to