Subject Author Posted Replies

OT Paying by credit card over the phone
My niece needs some auto parts. I called Advanced Auto Parts. They need the money before they can order the parts from the factory (Ford). Cool........I have a 15k limit on my card. Ready for my card...
54
54

Are all roofers ripoffs?
I have an rowhouse in the middle of 12 attached homes. I noticed that the A_One Roofing company was working on a house a few doors down and asked them to take a look at mine. Since I've had water...
18
18

clapboard butt spacing?
I am looking at LP 'Smartside' lap siding. The installation instructions say to leave a 3/16" gap at butt joints. I assume this is for expansion? You're supposed to caulk it, but it seems huge. Is...
6
6

Recoating polyurethene . . .
I've had a lot of trouble trying to coat a table-top with polyurethane. I first applied regular Minwax polyurethane with a sponge brush, as the directions suggested. Inevitably I wound up with a...
11
11

RG59 or RG6?
Hello- I am getting ready to have cable internet installed for the first time in my house. Due to the odd location at which I would like the cable to emerge, I would like to route the cable myself...
14
14

Left handed toilets?
We had been having trouble with one of our toilets water valve making lots of noise. It sounded like a jet taking off. I assumed it was getting ready to explode. Since I had gotten knocked off-line...
10
10

PEX is it any good?
I am replacing my copper in a rental property with pex. If you have experiance with this stuff tell me what you think.
29
29

Can carpet tack strips be painted?
Simple question (I hope): I am having replacement carpet installed in my basement with tack strips already there. I am planning to coat the concrete with Drylok before that installation. Can the...
3
3

Mold on window
I just bought a ten year old house with air exchanger and just noticed some mold on most of the windows. It doesn't look like it is between the panes. It looks like it's between the outside of the...
8
8

Behr Paint
Purchased Behr paint for bathroom and bedroom. Bath done, looks fine. Painter came in for an estimate for the bedroom and sneered at Behr paint saying painters did not think it of good quality in...
12
12

Good HD experience
I live in a rural area and the nearest "shopping" town is 20 miles away. The town has a Lowes and a Home Depot. The Lowes was there first, so I got into the habit of shopping there and continued to do...
20
20

Small engine (Tecumseh) question
I ahve a Sears lawn Vacuum non-self propelled - about 8 years old. It is a Tecumseh 4.5 HP 4 cycle engine. I use it frequently during the spring and summer for blowing debris off the lawn. You can...
25
25

brain-dead WWV 'atomic clock'
Time again for the twice a year 'atomic clock' thread. Mine reset itself just like it should last night, but sometime today set itself back to daylight time. I tried a force reset, but ten minutes...
11
11

How Do They Make PVC Trim So Shiny And Smooth?
As anyone who has used PVC trim knows, the product is basically S4S, i.e. shiny and smooth on all sides. As anyone who has ripped PVC trim also knows, the newly exposed surface is pretty rough. Well,...
11
11

OT, baggers at supermarkets.
Have you noticed that they used to fill the grocery bags so that they all weighed about the same? Then 10 or 20 years ago they got the idea to sort the stuff. Now I can see putting all the frozen food...
19
19