Subject Author Posted Replies

Latest scam on the elderly
I have a simple rule of thumb. I assume anybody that calls me that I do not know is lying to me. Most are.
6
6

Good *electric* chain saw for (largish) fallen branches -- $100?
Up here in New York state, that 2-weeks-ago (3?) snow+wind storm took down lots of trees, and especially lots of largish branches. I've got one that's 6.5 inches in diameter, 8.5 at a swelling; no way...
13
13

Electric Heaters Not 100% Efficient?
I thought that all electric heaters were 100% efficient. What is this site talking about when they say: "During the process of converting electrical energy into heat energy a great deal of it is lost....
40
40

Senate Moves To Allow Military To Intern Americans Without Trial
You Americans are so screwed. You're screwing yourselves. Remember what I said about "you couldn't pay me enough to live in the states" ? A pack of gorrillas flash-robbing a 7-11 in the DC area is...
38
38

Generator plugs
I've got an older generator with a 3-prong 240V outlet on it. L6-30R My house has a bypass panel installed with 4-pin 240V plug on it. L14-30P I need to make an adapter cable. So at the generator I...
9
9

Converting SINGLE light switch to MULTIPLE light switch using WIRELESS control?
Radio Shack had lots of these years ago, don't know about today.
6
6

Shimming plywood to ceiling joists
I plan to attach plywood sheets to my basement ceiling (2x10 joists, 16" OC). The application is an extension of a climbing wall (I will be hanging climbing ropes and holds from the plywood). Every...
7
7

HF oscillating multifunction tool
It says it will cut metal; does that include mild steel and stainless? I need to cut a 2 1/8" hole in a steel door for mounting a deadbolt. Actually, it's a hollow core wooden door that someone...
5
5

Cloudy gas????
I was getting the snow blower ready for winter and when I went to fill the tank noticed the gas in the can was cloudy. The gas was purchased around the beginning of Oct and stored with a tight lid so...
20
20

shithole advice
Without intending to do so, my good friend leslie asked me to troubleshoot her toilet situation, which I as an adapted carpenter, try to feign. So what would be my method to troubleshoot a pooperei...
4
4

How to remove shear blocks in a Single Hung Vinyl Window
I find the shear blocks supporting the upper sash on both sides of the window frame. They are just blocks with no screws. I don't know how to release these shear blocks so that I can take down the...
1
1

OT: Newsgroup client suggestions
My local ISP discontinued access to newsgroups as of November 1st. All the while I was wondering why I couldn't connect until I called just now. Therefore, I am hoping many of you good people will...
81
81

Bird House Cleaning
Our three backyard, in the trees, birdhouses have been inhabited by sparrows, according to SWMBO. I don't know if I should empty them of the nesting materials or not, and when to do so. They don't...
7
7

Converting two 3 way switches to a GFI outlet & pole switch
I have a 1918 rowhouse and am running into some trouble with a couple 3 way switches. I have a porch light that is controlled by a 3 way switch outside on the porch and another 3 way switch inside the...
7
7

Ah, the enjoyment of gun ownership and use...
READSBORO ? State police say a Vermont hunter shot a friend who was tracking a deer and then killed himself after realizing his friend was dead. Sgt. Albert Abdelnour says three men were hunting...
75
75