10-30 outlet and 6-30 plug

Is it possible to make an extension cord with a male 10-30 plug and the other end a female 6-30 receptacle? I have a potters' kiln that has a 6-30 plug and when I am not using my dryer, I would like to be able to plug my kiln in the same outlet.

ED

-------------------------------------

Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 293956 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
ebaydowicz

What is amp rating of the kiln? The longer the cord, the more resistance.

I made a 20' cord for my 220v Unisaw but that was for a 20 amp circuit. No performance issues.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

No problem at all. The kiln should be a pure 240v load sop you don't run into any problems with the neutral question. Don't use #10 Romex, get a real "cord" designed for this kind of application and use a plug and receptacle with cord connectors. If your home store doesn't have them an electrical supplier will.

Reply to
gfretwell

I hope a licensed electrician weights in on this.

I did find the following link:

You now have a dryer with a 30 amp 3 pole, 3 connector rated for 250V AC, which I understand not universally current for new dryer installs. I presume this is actually wired as two conductors at 220 / 2 poles, and the "W" connection is used as a ground wire.

Your Kiln uses the specific wiring device for 30 amps, 250 volt rating, two poles with a specific grounding connector.

Yes, my not authoritative and non-qualified to answer reply is yes both connectors (10-30 and 6-30) will handle 220 VAC two poles with a ground wire.

However, I think the better solution would be to bring your dryer and the

220 receptacle up to current suggested code of 6-30. Yes that would be more expensive, and may require an electrician licensed in your area to verify my guess is correct.

I would ask at one of your local appliance stores (Sears?) what connector their electrical dryers use; a 6- or 10- plug.

Just my opinion.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Again