1/2" Preformed Heater Hose?

Got a tight fit 90 bend to oil cooler from engine block on little JD utility tractor. It's 1/2" heater hose; about 6" overall length.

JD shows nobody w/ the original part no in stock; can't find a local source for a preformed 1/2" hose; regular hose collapses making the bend.

Tried adding an elbow; extra length of the elbow itself too long to make the corner--the ends of two connections aren't but 1/2" or so from end of one to centerline of other...

Clare -- any ideas how to preform a chunk or keep from collapsing? I've never run in to such a tight spot before couldn't manage something...out of ideas at the moment.

--

Reply to
dpb

Any way to put a spring inside the hose? Many sizes for sale but could wind it yourself.

Reply to
micky

A couple times I needed preformed I didn't have I asked the auto parts guy to look for a match of the turn on a different hose, then I cut off what's not needed. Both times I paid more than if they had the correct hose, but it was worth my time.

Reply to
Vic Smith

IDK how to make a sharp bend, but since this goes to an oil cooler, I don't think you really want heater hose, you need something rated for oil. Did you ask the auto parts store what the most flexible hose they have is for oil? If so, how about a shop that does hydraulic lines and similar?

Reply to
trader_4

This is the water line for the cooler so the heater hose is the material.

The cooler is actually the base of the oil filter; oil all stays inside it, water runs through a channel inside some (can't see anything except the inlet/outlets so not really possible to know just what the internal coolant path is).

Reply to
dpb

That would be my solution -

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Dean Hoffman

Midel of the tractor? Picture? I'm thinking a bypass hose from some obscure GM car - Amazon has one at

your auto supply stire and ask for a Dayco 80393 - a 394, 395,

396, 0or 397 will also work but with more waste. The 80393 is only $4 and change from Rock Auto (They show only 1 in stock) About $10 at advanced auto parts or CarQuest
Reply to
Clare Snyder

Thanks, guys...I'd've tried the replacement idea and cut off ends except there's not a single auto parts place in town that has a klew if they can't punch in a vehicle...and getting even the NAPA guys to let you just go rummage is getting harder and harder.

But, I did come up w/ a workaround -- used another hose clamp in the middle of the bend in lieu of the wound spring idea--served the same purpose.

I tried to find the JD picture parts page but they've screwed up the link to it to where couldn't ever get to the mechanicals section...

The block connection is right at the firewall; can only get to the hose clamp with an open-end 5/16 wrench and then only a 1/8-th turn per grab. Takes long time to tighten a clamp at that rate...

The front end is on the cooler at base of oil filter-- it wouldn't be too bad to get to but the dip stick tube is directly in front of where the clamp needs to be to sit over the expansion knob and there's not enough clearance to get to it if face it up or down instead of out...so the wrench again. Altho can get almost a quarter-turn on it.

But, hopefully it won't be pouring oil out -- both the o-rings in between the cooler and the block facing had hardened and actually broken--that's a rarity in my experience as well; they'll get to where don't hold but rarely have found one actually broken.

--

Reply to
dpb

That has worked for me too.

Reply to
gfretwell

Got the sucker back together this AM...no oil leaks!!! :)

Now if can just stop the leak on the fuel bowl...new o-ring for it didn't seem to completely cure the problem. Too hot to do anything more until evening now, however...

105.7 >>

and not a breath of air...

Reply to
dpb

108.6 >>
Reply to
dpb

Where do you live?

Reply to
micky

Far SW KS...

It's down in temp but dewpoint has risen...

107.5 >>

There is at least a little breeze now...can see some decent t-storms S on the OK/TX border but that's wrong way for us...

Reply to
dpb

10 successive days over 30C here in Central Ontario - Humidex up on the 39-42 range. (that almost 90F and 107F)
Reply to
Clare Snyder