old deadbolt stuck in fram

old deadbolt stuck in fram open original image
old deadbolt stuck in fram open original image
old deadbolt stuck in fram open original image

I'm renting a house built in 1950 with, best I can tell, the original deadbolt on the door. The key wasn't provided, but it worked fine from the inside -- until today ... the latch (that "unlocked" the deadbolt) was turning, but the bolt stayed in the frame. I took it apart (pics) and there wasn't a mechanism like I'm used too -- I tried twisting the metal rod (in the images) and it still didn't budge. I put it back together (the last pic is what it looks like assembled) and now it's not even catching (the inside handle doesn't even move); I'm guessing that's user error -- but I am not sure how to replace the lock if I can't get the door open. I'm trying not to bug the landlord if it's something I can fix myself. Any and all help is welcome and appreciated. I can provide other/better pictures if needed.

Reply to
Dee