Latest threads in Backyard Gardenersshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Re: Walmart MTD Yard Machine 17HP Briggs&Stratton
I have been looking for a commercial walk behind mower and everybody says to stay away from Briggs & Stratton. I have a 6.5 HP Briggs on a two year old Cub Cadet 21", and it has given me starting...

Mantis Tiller Low compression
The tiller has a compression rate of 30. Is there's a inexpensive way to fix it? The cylinder wall is scorched. Or is the engine shot and not worth fixing? thank you
1
1

Re: Spreader recommendations needed
I bought a Scott's "Edge Guard" spreader this spring. It's seems well-built and has a retractable "guard" that allows the accuracy of a drop spreader while using a rotary. I've only used it twice, but...
8
8

Chipmunks
Hi all, Looking for a way to get rid of the little guys... they were cute at first, but are now infesting the yard, gardens, under the porch, etc. Help! Thanks. f.r.
13
13

Lawn and tree and shrubbery service
Good afternoon, My parents need a new tree & lawn service company. They've tried Tru-Green Chem Lawn who they aren't impressed with. Anybody happy with the companies they're using? I know some...
3
3

Impulse Sprinkler
I have this problem almost every year. I cannot get my impulse sprinkler to reverse direction so I can water less than a full circle. Has anyone had this problem and found a solution ?
3
3

Lawn tractor engine problem
Last year I bought a Murray lawn tractor with a 21hp B&S I/C engine. Aside from the pulley housing on one of the blades disintegrating, it's been ok, not great (Murray reimbursed me for the repairs,...
3
3

Re: Tree Identification
It's probably some variety of red maple- which is a native species for much of the eastern USA- the leaves may be reddish/green early in the season. If it's in your yard, it may be a landscape...
1
1

Re: toadstools
Does anyone know how to get rid of toadstools, I cut down a tree 3 yrs ago, had the stump remove and got toadstools in return!! The only thing I find that works is a shovel, but I do not want to dig...

Re: Zoysia Lawn
Zoysia is great! Put in the plugs and your will have a thick green yard in 2-3 growing seasons. You should only have to water the first year. its good to -30 degrees. go for it.
3
3

DIY concrete curbs for edging?
I know this is going to sound like a dumb question to some, but what the hey, won't be the first time. Anyone know of a DIY method of forming concrete planting bed edges similar to the "concrete curb"...

B&D electric mower 8018
Hi gang - I need some help with electrical connections for a B&D model 8018 mower (the orange "flip-handle" mower). For the first time I have a lawn to tend and I retrieved this old mower from my...

Re: How do I keep birds away?
Have you tried holding a cat?

Dry or diseased St. Augustine?
Hi guys, Need your help. I live in Texas. Most of my lawn looks beautiful except an area in the backyard. The area is about 10 feet in width and looks very dry. Is is just dry grass or a disease? The...
2
2

Spider control = how?
There are bait for ants, earwigs, cockroaches but I can't seem to find bait for spider. How can I control spider in my house and garden? I asked the guy in Home Depot and they told me to use some...
10
10