Watering Time

Watering in the morning? Watering in the evening? Does it even matter?

Reply to
Dave

It does matter. Water in the morning.

If you water in the hottest part of the day, much of your water will be lost to evaporation before it soaks into the soil. If you water in the evening, you will promote mildew, fungus and other diseases because your lawn and plants will remain damp overnight.

Reply to
RoyDMercer

Anytime is better than no-time. Early morning before sun-up is best.

Reply to
Steveo

I agree. My time is set to water at 6am.

"| > Watering in the morning? Watering in the evening? Does it even matter? | | It does matter. Water in the morning. | | If you water in the hottest part of the day, much of your water will be lost | to evaporation before it soaks into the soil. If you water in the evening, | you will promote mildew, fungus and other diseases because your lawn and | plants will remain damp overnight.

Reply to
BonnieJean

Watering early in the morning. The water will have soaked down into the soil before the sun has a chance to evaporate it. Plus, if you water at night, mold/fungus has several hours to set in before the sun rises.

hth,

tom

***************** Check Us Out *****************
Free Text Real Estate Ads! FSBO's and Agents Welcome.
Reply to
newsgroups01REMOVEME

Of course the problem is with a reasonable size lawn and many zones, it takes quite a while to water properly, not just a couple hours. I time it so that it ends by about 8AM, when it's still cool and little water will be lost to evaporation. If that means starting it at 2AM, I wouldn't worry about it.

IMO, the idea that watering overnight is bad is over rated. After all, it rains at night doesn't it? The biggest fungus and disease problems come from watering too frequently, like every day, which many people do. Do that at night and eventually you will have trouble. Best practice is to only water when it needs it, and then to put down about an inch. Given a choice, I would agree it's better not to leave it wet longer than necessary, so I wouldn't do it in the early evening, but if you need to start in the wee hours of the morning, it's not a problem.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

Reply to
evolutionman 2004

I was told by a lawn care company not to water until about 11am. This will prevent over-watering (water + dew). Does this make sense???

-Bill

Reply to
Mr Titan

All the 'Garden Gurus' on TV in the Puget Sound area here say to water first thing in the morning (less evaporation they explain). I've never heard of the '11 am thing' from any of them.

(¯`·._.· £ãrrÿ ·._.·´¯)

Reply to
Larry

I'm with Chet on this one. Don't water after 8:00 am, it just evaporates and doesn't sink in. Watering at 11:00 am is a waste of water.

Reply to
Jim Sullivan

Not unless you're trying to lower your soil temperature. It's damn near impossible to over-water turfgrass in the summer.

Reply to
Steveo

Reply to
Larry