Trimmer bogs when given gas

Ryobi 775R.

I changed the spark plug and put in new fuel. It starts just fine but when I give it gas, it just bogs down and dies. Any thoughts to why? How can I adjust the two carb screws on top?

Reply to
dan

Ok, the air/fuel adjustments only go one full turn. I adjusted both a half turn going from one end of the spectrum to the other. Nothing. I think I'm going to do a compression check - although, I have no idea what the compression should be on this guy. I think I may inspect the carb as well.

Reply to
dan

If it runs at all don't waste you time with a compression test.

It is starving for fuel when you accelerate. If richening the low speed (turn out 1/4 turn) does not make it accelerate then I would suggest replacing the fuel with fresh (from the station, not from a can that was filled last season) and a new fuel filter. Pay attention to the condition of the rubber fuel line. If it's mushy or splits easily when putting on a new fuel filter then you might as well go get a carb kit for it also.

Reply to
Art

New fuel = Fresh fuel from the pump.

I opened part of the carb and found some "sludge". It looked like wet sugar. Very little but I ordered a carb kit anyway. I'll post my results.

Reply to
dan

Cleaned and rebuilt the carb. It runs now. Saved me from having to buy a new trimmer, although at $45 for the rebuild kit, I'm part way there. If it lasts another year, it was worth it.

Reply to
dan

You were robbed. A kit should have been $10 or less, a complete carb around $50.

Reply to
Art

Probably. I went through Sears Parts.

Reply to