Poor soil (dirt) quality

It's lacking the shit. (organics)

Reply to
Steveo

Someone sold the top soil years ago. That ain't no farm.

Reply to
Steveo

I'm not sure who the NCDACS is, but where I live the MOE recomends chicken poop as a good alternative to synthetic fertalizers. Wow that was a struggle, my R key is pooched!

Reply to
Mike

North Carolina Dept of Agriculture & Consumer Services

no_name

Whaaa?

Reply to
Steveo

North Carolina Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services

synthetic fertilizers suck and for the sake of the environment ought to be banned.

Reply to
Jim Ledford

They do suck a lot. Most customers request it since it provides the best results, however we atleast usea 50% organic/synthetic mix, which is a little better. And for our organic customers they get chicken poop with acedic acid/yucca for weed control.

Reply to
Mike

I wonder why? One is full of bacteria (possibly with other viruses, parasites) - and of fluctuating chemical composition

- while the other is sterile clean, and formulated to exactly match the plant's chemical needs.

Reply to
Dweezil Dwarftosser

LOL. And return to the days of e coli, cholera, listeria, dysentery, and foodstuffs mishapen and unappealing due to proper mineral balance?

BTW - there's nothing "synthetic" about chemical fertilizers. Chemically, there is no difference whatsoever - except for uniform composition and lack of impurities. Science - not voodoo traditions.

Reply to
Dweezil Dwarftosser

I believe that it is sterilized beforehand else the bags would have a biohazard symbol on them.

Reply to
Mike

You know, if you do like I do, and every time you cut the grass, just pile it all in a wheelbarrow, roll it 'round back & put it on the compost pile, you don't ever have to buy chemical fertilizers.

Does help to use a pitch-fork and turn the pile once in a while. That's a good time to add in the vegetable scraps, coffee grounds & egg shells.

About once a year, I run it through a chipper/shredder & move it over to the second pile. That's also a good time for cleaning up any volunteer shrubbery & walnut trees and shred them into the second pile as well. Anything 1/2" or more gets cut up for kindlin'

Second pile's also goes thru the shredder (with the fine screen) & gets moved to the third pile.

To me, the third pile looks just like the topsoil they sell in bags at Lowes or Home Depot.

Plus you never gotta' buy bait. There's plenty of worms in there if ya' wanna' go fishin'.

Reply to
no_name

Compost it & the heat it generates will sterilize it for you.

Reply to
no_name

likely you're not in the lawn care business and as such I'd not expect you to be aware of Lesco products as well as have an in-depth understanding for how Lesco has used science and field test research to advance their product line well past that of all other producers. Lesco products cost more, however for the sake of the environment they are well worth the investment.

best, Jim

Reply to
Jim Ledford

LOL - never thought of buying chicken manure by the bag.. Pickup truck yes - bag no !! Sterilized chicken shit ?? - what next ?

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

And hope that fine roots don't invade your pile and make it so bound up you can't get a shovel in it.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

And warn the unaware - not to use fresh chicken manure cause it burns the vegetation. What are poultry farmers using for floor cover in your area ? Hate like hell to have 75% woodchips spread over my lawn.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Sterilied mouse turds, in little tiny bags you can put in your walls, with a plastic dishwasher-safe reusable applicator.

Reply to
.p.jm

That might just become the code in Cary for wall insulation!

Reply to
TColspamnot

We had plenty of that during the Carter administration...

Reply to
Dweezil Dwarftosser

I can see the rack in Cary Home Depots now: *color co-ordinated* matched sets of dishwasher-safe reusable applicators (with carbon-fiber handles), $90 ...

Reply to
Dweezil Dwarftosser