"Plugr' aerator

I especially like the helper in the video. Have you got a helper like that Steveo? ;)

Reply to
joe

No. I won't let 'em work off the invoice. :D

Reply to
Steveo

Looks like I had to answer that my own self.

Steveo

Sorry about the photos not being compressed. I'll try to do better next time.

Dr. J

Reply to
redrover

Don't post binaries in this text group, dumbass. This ain't your moms aol.

Is that what you call grass? lol

Reply to
Steveo

Reply to
Steveo

Stevo,

You are way off base. I would love to get any kind of support (i.e. money or free equipment) from ANY manufacturer. (If you would re-read my previous posts, you would see that EXCEPT for owning a WORLD CLASS CROQUET COURT in my back yard, I am simply a white collar professional) I have no allegiance to any company. Actually, if pressed for favoritism, I feel that Toro units may be a little better engineered than competing (RYAN/TEXTRON) products. (although at a somewhat higher price) I continue this discussion for the other readers.

Coming to this newsgroup, my sole objective was researching a planned purchase of an aerator. (We are both obviously believers in an regular aeration program) When I asked for suggestions/ reccomendations from users, the only advice I got from you was to buy a Ryan hands down: no facts, no eplanations, no comparisons. When you did not answer my questions directly, I quickly gathered that you were biased, you must be a Ryan owner?dealer.

My needs were straightforward, I need to aerate my court at least 3 times a year (actually more often is reccommended). In the past, I have rented and borrowed aerators . I have rented both Bluebird and a Ryan lawnaire IV rotary aerators.

Maybe in your experience, maybe they are vastly different machines, but to me (except for the decals) they were essentially the same unit. Simply because they are both ROTARY aerators. They both leave 1 to 3 inch long irregular scars at every single entrance point. This is TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE for a lawn laser leveled to 1/4" tolerance. (Maybe you are OK with this if you run a mundane/generic lawncare business)

Later I borrowed a very old (~1988) Ryan GREENSAIRE aerator. This was an AWESOME MACHINE!!!! Every aeration hole entered the ground at a perpendicular angle!!! I propose that VERTICAL aeration from ANY brand aerator (less surface disruption) is better than any ROTARY aeration process. Ask any golfer, why golf course professionals use vertical aeration. They know that bentgrass and bermuda cut at short cutting heights heals faster with less surface (vertical aeration) damage.

I need VERTICAL aerating motion because of the height of cut of my lawn. Today I cut my Tif Eagle bermuda (oh yeah, I forgot, you don't know anything about bermuda) croquet court at 0.160" (or 5/32 inch) As far as your cricism of my lawn photos, to your simple mind that is equal to thickness of 33 sheets of 20lb copy paper. When you regularly cut your lawn at that height, then you can realistically criticize my (ill posted) photos, (which incidentally, only YOU complained about).

Rotary tine aeration (lawnaire IV and V etc) simply won't cut it for my croquet lawn. Rotary aeration will cause scalping at every aeration hole (due to large 1 to 2 inch long SCARS at every entrance point with a rotary aerator) and ruin my 1994 Toro 3100 triplex reels in about 30 seconds. As far as your earlier reply, I surmise you probably only have a ROTARY aerator, like a Lawnaire IV or V. I remain unconvinced you have ever owned or even used a Lawnaire 28. The fact that you didn't mention it by model name and number but only send me a link with a photo of one suggests that is unlikely that you could even afford one. Anyone can copy a photo from a web page. If I purchased one for over $10,000+, I would like to think I would remember the model name and number. My Plugr 400B cost less than $2000 from

(Matched price from
).

If you really own a vertical aerator (in this case a Lawnaire 28 or equivalent) then we have little need for further discussion. I am seriously happy you can afford a Ryan Lawnaire 28 if you own one. Maybe you can understand why the plugr is better fits my needs. As far as durability goes only time will tell. I will say this, I can buy more than 5 Plugrs

400's for the price of one Lawnaire 28. At that rate, if a Plugr only lasts 5 years, I will still save money over time even if I buy a brand NEW machine every five years.

I would only use a RYAN Lawnaire IV or V (for that matter, any other POS rotary aerator) for my PASTURE. If you want to discuss this subject further I will be happy to do so, but please discuss FACTS, not OPINIONS.

Dr. J

PS Now if Plugr (or Ryan or Toro) would send me a check, I will be happy to cash it.

Reply to
redrover

Riiiight. Nym shift and agree with yourself again, loser.

Reply to
Steveo

whats a nym shift?

Reply to
joe

Here are some pictures of holes left by the Plugr.

h>

Reply to
Jay & Mary Julson

Here are some pictures I took of holes left by the Plugr.

hope this helps. Jay

Reply to
Jay & Mary Julson

hope this helps. Jay

clean looking holes, not much peripheral damage as with a rotary areator. thanks

Reply to
joe

OK midco.

Reply to
Steveo

Hello again, mym shift.

Reply to
Steveo

Steveo,

Who are you talking about now? (nym shift)

Dr. J

Reply to
redrover

hello again steveo

Reply to
joe

Is all this nym shift, mym shift stuff like Joe Piscapo's subliminal man on SNL? Or is it an inside joke?

Reply to
JoeT

Lover's spat. Pay it no mind.

Reply to
G Henslee

Bellsouth sock puppet show.

Reply to
Steveo

hope this helps. Jay

I tried the plugr for the first time a few days ago. Works well with no where near the peripheral damage as caused by a rotary aerator. In soft ground it doesn't want to self propel esp up hill so I had to push a little to limit damage to the berm around the putting surface of my greensward. Also causes slightly more disruption around corners, still less than rotary going straight though. In the future I will aerate when the ground is a little harder & dryer and go in straight line on the green. I would recommend for grasses that don't recover from damage quickly over a rotary aerator or critical areas where minor surface damage is unacceptable. But I am not a pro landscaper. so YMMV

Reply to
joe