Oil Plug on Murray tractor stuck

I have a Murray 17.5 hp Garden Tractor. I just went to change the oil prior to using it, The plug will not come out for anything. The correct size socket just strips it... This sucks. Would anyone have a solution ?

Thanks

Reply to
ME

vicegrips?

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

There is a difference between 6 point and 12 point sockets.

I wouldn't hesitate to put a pipe wrench on it. Plugs are cheap to replace.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

be SURE to set the caming action on the vice grips as tight as you can. in the past, I've used a C-clamp to set the vice grips.

I bet you got a cast aluminum engine block with a steel drain plug. if so then there is a really good possibility seizure has occurred. in this case it's not just stuck but rather the two different metals have bonded to one another due to their different temperature coefficients defining how metals expand and contract when repeatedly heated and cooled. under these circumstances it's not uncommon for the female threads in the aluminum engine block to break after sufficient force has been applied and thus remain attached to the steel drain plug. if the threads do break simply drill and re-tap the hole to the next larger size. before installing the new drain plug apply a product called Never Seize, a compound designed to compensate for the two different metal thermal coefficients.

have fun in the shop.

hi Eggs.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

run the engine till warm or hot and then try again

Reply to
GROUP MODERATOR

I would forget about it and try again next Fall. I haven't changed my oil in 17 years and it works fine.

Reply to
Stubby

Anti-seize is also alleged to reduce galvanic corrosion and oxidation of the aluminum. Recalling that the original VW Beetle had problems with various engine studs freezing in the aluminum block, I Googled. That reminded me that there was the same sort of problem with European motorcycles of roughly the same vintage. (Harley didn't care how much their motorcycles weighed. ) Anyway, the search returned up this thread that you might enjoy.

Just don't mix up the tubes of anti-seize and Loctite.

Reply to
Ann

worse is to think you've selected the correct product to provide a solution only then to find out at a later date how the selection was inappropriate.

Product Search Results The search results displayed below are automotive products.

lubricantsCategory Product Specialty Lubricants Permatex® Anti-Seize Lubricant Specialty Lubricants Permatex® Copper Anti-Seize Lubricant Specialty Lubricants Permatex® Nickel Anti-Seize Lubricant Counterman's Choice® Permatex® Counterman?s Choice® Anti-Seize

Reply to
Jim
[...]

I'm fairly confident that that comes as a shock to very few, here.

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

Start the engine and heat it up before you try to remove it.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Mel M Kelly