how to fix ?

We have a St Augustine yard. Around the outer perimeters, brush we cleared was piled up. When the loader came along to pick it up, we ended up with holes and gouges. These hole are approx 2-3" deep, and usually around 1-2' in diameter. The holes as are if a big spoon scraped them out.

Now we're trying to figure out the least expensive way of fixing the problem. Options seem to be:

  1. Have grass/sod put in where holes are. Disadvantage of this is having to dig out the holes to a uniform level so that the grass/sod top placed in the holes ends up being the proper level to match up with the rest of the yard.

  1. Simply fill the holes with topsoil, and let whatever grass there is come back gradually.

  2. Do nothing, and let whatever grass there is come back gradually, filling in with leaves and grass clippings, over time.

Obviously option #1 is the most expensive.

Thoughts, please

Reply to
RB

You really only have two choices worth considering, #1 and #2, #3 is a mess.

#1 It should be easy to get the spots to the uniform depth required with a hoe, rake and some topsoil. Then you can lay new sod. The only real disadvantage might be if the available variety has any difference in color from what's there now to the point that it's noticeable. Unless you have a large area, cost shouldn't be too much. Advantage is results are fast

#2 This will work too, but takes longer. When laying lawns from plugs they are spaced 12-18 inchs apart, so with 1-2 ft holes, they will fill in fine on their own. Personally, unless I was looking for fast results, I'd go with this approach. Make sure to fertilize at the appropriate times to encourage faster growth.

Reply to
trader4

I'd go with two. As the grass grows back in, the dirt settles and you notice uneveness, add more soil.

Reply to
Damian

"RB"wrote

Say this out loud, 3 times and the answer will come to you: Eye We Todd Did

Reply to
gammy

consider option #4 ?...fill holes with soil...throw grass seed on

Reply to
Eyebright

Nice idea, except I believe St. Augustine grass seed is virtually impossible to buy as seed.

Reply to
trader4

get some good potting soil, a couple of bags as needed and fill the holes I would bet by the end of next summer they will fill in quite nicely on their own Or what I would do instead with better results and less chance for weeds to get established is to fill the holes with this soil slightly, leaving room for new sod. Do not buy plugs, go to your local sod company and buy full pieces of sod and make your own. that way you can cut them to fit precisely. You'll like the results much better and is only slightly more expensive than plugs, if any more expensive. plugs are pretty expensive when figuring it out by the sq inch. I can get sod for $1 per piece here in south Florida. I would only get plugs if I was filling in a few very small area (8" or less) and only a few of them. Cutting your own is almost always cheaper. Ultra cheap? cut plugs out of your own yard and use them instead. good luck, JT

Reply to
JT