How to evaluate a tree cavity?

Hi all,
Is there a formal way to determine how bad a tree cavity is?
I have a gorgeous tree on my backyard, probably a hundred year old. I
needed to do some pruning, so I invited a few different people for an
estimate. It turned out the tree has a cavity at the base of the
trunk. One person strongly suggests to remove the tree, since it may
be dangerous -- the tree is huge. The others say it's not too bad.
The tree looks perfectly healthy othewise.
All of them do their evaluation by just looking at the tree. What I
am wonderig -- is there any formal test that can determine how bad the
problem is?
Thanks in advance,
Arkadiy
Reply to
Arkadiy
There are tree cutters and there are arborists. I'd trust the latter's advice.
For me, what would the tree damage if it were to fall? I don't like big trees that threaten my house if they were to fall and have removed otherwise healthy trees because of this.
Reply to
Frank
In most brachiopods, diverticulum (hollow extension) of the mineralized layer of the mantle through the valve to the periostraca. These functions are uncertain, it diverticula recommendations, which can be storage of chemicals, such as glycogen, can be secreted insect repellent to prevent biological, adhere to the shell or can help breathing.
Reply to
cheryblk

Site Timeline Threads