How do I remove a mound?

The previous owner of my home built a mound about 15-20 in diameter and maybe 2 feet high at the center. This has been here several years so it is covered with St. Augustine. I want to remove it, because is serves no useful purpose for us and it blocks drainage in that part of the yard.

I don't know the best way to go about this. Should I just attack it with a shovel or rent a tiller, or pay someone to scoop it with a bobcat and just re-sod the naked ground? I fear the shovel approach would take quite a while by myself. The dirt is most likely a combination of top soil and clay, mostly clay.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Reply to
Walter

That's why we get married. Buy her a shovel and put her to work.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

I'd lasso it, take a couple wraps around the front bumper (you'll wana see all the details in real time) of yer' 53' DeSoto, slam it into "R" (for mound Removal) and 'put the pedal 2 the metal'. The next cloudburst will do the cleanup fer' ya.

Yer much abliged.

MikeR

Reply to
MikeR

It seems to me that the real question is, where do you put the topsoil etc when you scoop it up, either by shovel, bobcat, or otherwise ?

A backhoe (with frontloader bucket) could do this job in an hour maximum, including scooping the topsoil/sod/dirt up, and dumping the scoops into his dump truck, and haul the entire thing off.

One hour of backhoe work in your community may vary, but perhaps it is $55-65. Of course, any backhoe owner wouldn't load and unload for just one hour, so perhaps he would do it for $150-200.

I would investigate backhoe operators in your area. Ask them out and they will give you a price.

Good Luck !!

--James--

Reply to
James

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in news:YF%Yd.381098$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Maybe I should tell her there's a diamond buried at the bottom! :-D

Reply to
Walter

"MikeR" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Uh.. Thanks?

Reply to
Walter

"James" wrote in news:IumdnS1 snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Thanks James. I will definitely look into it.

Reply to
Walter

there may be a reason the mound is there and you will find out when you dig it up!

Reply to
birdman

birdman wrote in news:Ckf_d.34615$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews3.bellsouth.net:

Oh, I know why it's there. The previous owner had the patio extended, and purposely used the excavated dirt to build the mound for chipping practice. I don't golf.

Reply to
Walter