I have a lawn which just won't thrive, here's the facts:
- Live on the sea front, it's the rear garden, 18m2, west facing.
- A new promenade was being built 4 years ago and the rubble and soil
from existing ground was removed and dumped in a mini car park opposite
me – I was doing the garden at the same time so thought it was too good
to be true not to pinch the soil and use for my lawn. Did this, filled
the area to a depth of 4" and sewed seeds. At first the grass looked
amazing, but after a few weeks started getting patchy, very
yellow/strawy and eventually areas died back. I tried adding more seed,
plenty of water, no luck.
- It got to the point where I called a gardener who (for £140) took a
look at it and said they'd add some top soil and fertilizer, more seed
and refertilize in a few weeks. They did that and it looked better, but
eventually right back to square 1, but buy this time the gardener was
uncontactable! Just can't get hold of him, typical!
- Since then, we moved out to restore our home and the grass was left in
a bad state, never cut (although only a few areas actually grew long
enough to even warrant cutting!), but I thought I'd address it when we
moved back in. That time is now and I cut it initially to clean it up
and see what it's do, but no change.
- Had a skip this w/e for removing tarmac, and with some space left, I
decided to dig up the lawn, and also removed a fair amount of soil
(thinking maybe it's contaminated?... although it served a good enough
purpose when it was used in its existing location!)
- I've dug down 2-3" and intend to buy some unscreened topsoil and turf
it, but I'm worried after a few weeks or months the same thing will
happen when the roots bed in?
- I did notice that after heavy rain, puddles appeared/it gets
waterlogged – the soil is 4" over shail, could this be a factor? I also
noticed dark (almost black soil when digging it up which I think
coincided with a pond smell – not sure if this is the soil the gardener
added of if it's bad soil? And I also noticed quite a few (every other
shovel load) of inch and half long caterpillar type creatures but no
legs ie. like a large maggot, some were brown, some crimson red, red
ones were like a cocoon!
That's all the info I can say guys, included all I know with the hope of
some guidance/advice. Any ideas???