Grass Seed On Top Of Rocks!? WHAT THE HECK!?

So I am out working in my yard today, and my 76 year old male neighbor comes outside, and he starts sprinkling grass seed all over his treebelt. The problem is, his treebelt is completely covered in rocks!!!!! He has what appears to be 1/2 to 3/4 inch rocks/stones across his entire treebelt, which is about 50 feet long, and 5 feet wide.

He had someone put the rocks there, on top of the topsoil, about 3 years ago when he had trouble keeping Green grass on his treebelt ( he always SCALPED the grass when mowing it! ). I like this old fart, and I TRY to help him out when he needs it, like shoveling his snow, bringing out his trash barrel for him, etc. etc.

Anyway, I offer to help him take the rocks off his treebelt for him, so that the grass can grow there, but he says no, he "wants the grass to grow through the rocks". HUH!? I tell him, even if some grass grows there, HOW the heck is he going to mow the grass with a treebelt full of rocks, without DESTROYING his lawnmower!! But he didn't understand what I was saying, and just kept saying that he wants to grow grass with the rocks still there??

I think the guy has lost it, and feel bad for him. I also feel like just going over there and taking the rocks off his treebelt for him, but don't want him to get mad when he sees that his precious rocks are gone!

He threw about a half bag of Kentucky Bluegrass seed all over his treebelt, and then tried to rake it in, and then he watered it!

WHAT THE HECK!?

What a mess it's going to look like, when in a few weeks, the treebelt is all rocks with new grass growing around them!!!!!

Here is some pics at the link below of what the rocks covering his treebelt look like:

Landscaping Rocks 1/2 - Google Search

MICHELLE H.

Also, there was plastic sheeting under the rocks to keep weeds from sprouting up, but he moved the rocks, and took the plastic out, then put the rocks back! He kept saying that he likes the rocks, but wants Green grass there, and wants the grass to grow up through the rocks. He seems to think the rocks are topsoil or something!? Also, they are not really the pea-size or gravel size. I would say that they are roughly 3/4" inch in diameter. Unfortunately, I don't really know any of is family, to try to tell them what he is attempting to do, and if this an early warning some of Alzheimers or something?

Reply to
MICHELLE H.

MICHELLE H. wrote the following on 5/7/2012 7:59 AM (ET):

You did what you could do, legally. Anything more would be intrusive.

Reply to
willshak

+1

If she's lucky when he sees the results of what he's created he may change his mind.

Reply to
trader4

Just so people know, I was and am pleasant to him, and I did just mind my own business and let him do what he wanted to do. But I did feel kinda bad, because I never heard of, or seen anyone throw grass seed on top of a 50 foot long treebelt of rocks before! I tried to help him out and offer to move the rocks for him, so that he can grow grass the right way, on topsoil, but he said no, he wanted grass to grow with the rocks!? Just hope he uses a weedwacker to cut whatever grows, and doesn't try to mow a treebelt of 3/4" inch rocks/stones with his push lawmower!!!!!

Reply to
MICHELLE H.