Effective Air Oderizers ??

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good air freshner for the home? I don't mean those little plug-ins, which are nearly worthless in my experience.

Some time ago, I tried one of those battery operated units that use a cannister to freshen the air every 1/2 hour or so (adjustable), but I found they didn't last and were noisy at night.

I have also tried those small cans with wicks, that you set out around the house, but I don't really like them. When you first put them out, they are too powerful, and then they degrade quickly and require replacing too often.

I just thought some of you might have had good success with something that I haven't heard of before.

Thanks for any tips !!

--James--

Reply to
James

What stinks so much you need to use these things?

Reply to
John Harlow

The human mind learns to ignore things like strong smells once you get used to it, perhaps you have desensitized yourself to air fresheners. ANything with scent will need to be replenished often. Manufacturers depend on these things to sell more air fresheners.

To save money try growing some aromatic herbs in your garden . Rosemary grows fast and is very powerful for example

Reply to
haklesup

Reply to
Jamogod

I just bought a packet of that "volcanic rock" stuff. You put it in a return vent and it's supposed to get rid of odor. It has no scent of it's own. I figured when I bought it that it'd be $10 down the toilet but it appears to be working. Maybe it's just a placebo effect.

Bonnie

Reply to
Bonnie

An open window does wonders. TB

Reply to
tbasc

Oderizer? You want to stink up your house?

later,

tom @

The Real Tom

So true; I call this the "old lady" syndrome. I've been in close proximity to old ladies whos perfume was so strong I almost puked, but I'm sure they could hardly smell it anymore so they douse themselves in it.

Reply to
John Harlow

good suggestions in this thread: open window; grow aromatic herbs

devices which put scents out only mask the odor, go to the source and stop it there

a good electric hepa air filter unit should work if it persists (or central air or heat unit)

Reply to
effi

Take those stanky sweat socks away from your central air return inlet and you won't need those artificial stink concealers.

Reply to
Greg

HEPA will get rid or dust but you need charcoal filter to get rid of most smells. Many filters have both.

Reply to
AutoTracer

Give me a 12 pak, a pot-o-chili, extra spicy, and a spot on your sofa, I'll stink up your house all you want. Hell, I'll even take off my shoes. You'll be puking in no time.

Reply to
xxxx-xx

Ozone generator.

Not one of those pissant Sonic Air or electrostatic toys - get one that can, at maximum setting, put out 900ug/hour.

You can keep dead bodies virtually unnoticed. Forever.

On a more practical level, our office consists only of heavy smokers. This device protects us from second-hand smoke!

Reply to
HeyBub

Not when it's 20 degrees out.

Reply to