Dalmation on duty

We had overnight guests last night as we were to take them to the airport at

3AM. We also have a 14 yo Dalmation named Chief (female) who is very spoiled, has the run of the place, and feels obligated to protect us. About 1AM she tears off the bed and out the flip door barking like crazy - louder and longer than usual - right below the guests open window. It is not unusual for her to go out when she hears / smells (?) a skunk, racoon, or cat in the middle of the night. But she really went at it last night. This morning we found the reason - there was an opposum caught in the hav-a-hart trap we had set for Mr Woodchuck. Bleary eyed people on a plane leaving Albany airport.
Reply to
Srgnt Billko

You will catch everything but a woodchuck by leaving your hav-a-hart out at night. Woodchucks are not very active at night while possums, raccoons and, Lord help you if you catch one, skunks are.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

You are right of course - but I am too lazy to close it down nights - and I am used to setting it at my "woodslot" which is 20 minutes away so I hadn't really thought about your solution. Thanks And BTW, I have caught skunks a few times. Been lucky enough not to get sprayed so far. I come up on the blind end and reach over with a couple rods to open the other end and prop it open. Raccoons were done in here a few years ago by rabies but they are starting to make a comeback.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Raccoons, possums, skunks and now coyotes have always been nightime prowlers in my area. I caught a skunk in a trap set for a muskrat when I was a kid. It was an unforgettable experience.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

They missed the opposum and eggs, with hash browns?

Reply to
Steveo

They wouldn't be bleary-eyed after that meal. But I b'lieve grits might more correct than h/browns.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

I agree on the grits - but don't laugh - my daughter was into road-kill a few years ago. Thank God I haven't heard anything about it in the past couple years. I know she gutted something and had it in my ex-wifes freezer. I didn't discourage her at that particular time.

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

With opposum gravy and now we eat!

Reply to
Steveo

Dang, I looked high and low for a girl like that when I was a youngin' to no avail...always had to teach my girlfriends how to kill em and clean em'. :)

Reply to
Steveo