Crab grass?? Spray?

Is there a good spray specifically for crabgrass?? Thanks.

Reply to
jtees4

I've had good results with Acclaim, which is what I use.

Reply to
trader4

Ortho Weed-B-Gone for Crabgrass sucks. It just makes them ill for a while (they get limp) and then they shoot back up.

Reply to
Willshak

Reply to
Stubby

I've had success with Ortho Weed-B-Gon Crabgrass Killer, Concentrate. Just have to note, I have to spray more than once for larger plants, and it generallly isn't a spray once and forget product.

I like it cause it does no visible damage to my yard, and kills the crab grass.

hth,

tom @

Tom The Great

Acclaim is a great POST emergent crabgrass treatment (if available OTC in your area) and dimension is a great pre emergent treatment (needs to be applied in the spring).

Reply to
Mike\

ps. Be careful using post emergent crabgrass killer in hot weather (above

84F) and also on drought stressed turfgrass. You can burn your desirables with it.

....also, crabgrass will die on its own this fall.

Reply to
Steveo

Yup, crabgrass is an annual, so you might not want to bother with it this summer so late in the year.

There is a new spray out there - Drive - somewhat expensive and available only in larger quantities. I think I paid about $100 or so for a quart sized jar. You use very little of the powder, however - I think about 1/3 oz per 4 gallons spray. It works very well - single application. ...will yellow the grass somewhat, particularly if you get too much on. I've used it for the last 2 years on my bermuda with very good success.

Reply to
Jeff

That seems expensive for grass killer, Jeff? :)

Reply to
Steveo

Drive 75 DF (75% Quinclorac) is $40 for a 1.5oz bottle of dry concentrate (plus shipping), which will treat 5000 sq ft. Whoa. Ya, you gotta want it gone really bad this time of year, to drop that kinda green! But, I guess if he's getting it for $100 a quart, that's a pretty damn good deal. =)

Reply to
Eggs Zachtly

BTW, I just picked up Bayer Advanced Weed Killer for Lawns. It claimes to work as a broad leaf weed killer, and a crab grass killer. I'll be trying it out soon. I'll post my findings.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

summer so late in the year.

Since it is an annual I will probably wait. I had beautiful grass this year, no crabgrass to be see until a few weeks ago. Then it grew and took over so fast it was hard to believe. It now is probably 50% of my rear lawn. What do I do next year to prevent it? Thank you.

Reply to
jtees4

summer so late in the year.

Depends on where you are. Get a pre-emergent herbicide and apply it in the Spring. In the US, it would be in April or May.

Reply to
Willshak

summer so late in the year.

I am on Long island, in NY. Any specific brand recommendation? Thanks.

Reply to
jtees4