care of cedar trees

I have some cedar trees in my yard, they are pointy and about 8-10 feet tall They look to be in good health. I'm wondering what to do to keep them that way, what to fertilize with etc. google wasn't much help this time. I can supply a picture if it will help Eric

Reply to
Eric

I would assume that they are western red cedars..? That's what we generally have up here in the pnw, but you could have the alaskan yellow cedar also. In general you will need to do very little to care for these cedars. In the drought season ( yes we do have one here 80P ) you may want to give them some extra water. As far as fertilizer goes, just raking up the fallen needles and leaves and multching the trees in the fall should be fine. You can give a supplement of chemical fertilizer like a rhodo/ azalea fertilizer or an orgainc fertilizer such as cotton seed husk but in general it won't be needed here.

One thing to watch for is cedar flagging. I always get a call or two about this every fall. This is a normal occurance in general (boy I say that alot) but it can also mean bigger issues. Cedar flagging is when you get dead needles ( brown patches) in the tree. You will notice this the most right now.

The master gardeners are a good resource here in the pwn and the cenex farmers supply is a great resource for fertilizers and other chemicals (at least here in whatcom county). Good luck to ya.....

Reply to
Timothy

[...]

I really dont know how to tell what kind of cedar they are, they are nice looking tho. Yeh, i see some "cedar flagging" in some of the trees, what should i do for that? Eric

Reply to
Eric

Again cedar flagging is mostly a normal occurance and should only give you concern when there is alot of it on the tree. This years' needles will seness (spelling*??) or drop in three year. This is the natural pattern for evergreens and conifers. So 10 or 20 % of the needles falling at one time isn't a big deal. You really need to watch the flagging if we had a hotter than normal summer (and you didn't water) or you did construction or some other type of root damage to them. Other wise it really no worry at all.

Reply to
Timothy