can I do this OK?

I'm diddling around putting new throttle and choke cables in my old garden tractor.

My new throttle and choke cables are about 2' too long.

any reason I can't cut those down?

They're both armor sheath with stiff wire cable inside the sheath.

I assume I'd just pull the cable back to where it clears when I cut the sheath, then put the cable back in place and cut it to length.

Advice appreciated.

Reply to
rb

Sounds good to me - except since it is only a couple inches can't you put a little bend in the route to accomodate the extra length ?

Reply to
Srgnt Billko

Leave the control wire a bit long, you can adjust down from there. You got it.

Reply to
Steveo

Some may not know that ' is the symble for a foot or feet and " is for inches.

I assume you mean 2 feet. That is alot to just leave a little long like you probalby mean.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

been there done that, it'll work. avoid this pitfall by devising a means to ensure the end of the armor sheath nearest the choke is securely attached and made stationary. usually there is a spiral spring on that end for tight compression of a screw binder clamp. if the armor sheath slips you will not be able to disengage the choke.

putting the new bend in the end of the wire cable can be a bit tricky. vise grips or a vise and a hammer has worked well for me in the past.

Reply to
Jim

Most L&G stores that sell those cables will also cut and bend them to exactly match your old cables. They have a z-bend tool that makes it a quick simple thing to put the correct bend at the end. If you got them from a "real" store and not a big-box store you should go back with the new and old cables and ask them to cut and bend the new ones. Otherwise carry on, you are on the right track.

Reply to
Art