Best Rated threads in Backyard Gardenersshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

anyone converted a rear-bagger to side discharge?
Has anyone had success converting a rear bagger mower to a side discharge? I have a craftsman mulching rear-bagger without any side discharge option, but am considering buying the spring/door/chute...
8
8

which is first - weed & feed or lime?
Hello, I live in western New York State. My forsythia just began to bloom. I am trying to rejuvenate my huge lawn. It's in very bad shape with countless weeds of every variety, much moss and bare...
3
3

Self-Propelled mowers -- Single speed vs. Variable speed?
Hello, I've always had self-propelled mowers with three speed settings, which I thought was great. I'll be buying a new mower soon, staying around the $300 range. It seems self-propelled has only two...
2
2

1972 GILSON MONTGOMERY WARD YARD TRACTOR MANUALS-90 PAGES- PLOW-CUTTING DECK-HITCH-15HP BRIGGS-HYDROSTAT DRIVE
COMPLETE SET OF COMPUTER SCANNED COPIES OF ORIGINAL OWNERS MANUAL LITERATURE FOR 1972 MONTGOMERY WARD-GILSON 15 HP LAWN TRACTOR- THIS INFORMATION IS OUT OF PRINT AND NO LONGER AVAILABLE COVERS THE...
7
7

snapper rear engine mower series 23
I cannot turn off a series 23 rear engine mower. I have replaced the switch but when I turn the key off the mower continues to run,when you get off the seat the mower ideas Billy

Divots in the Sand... Insects???
We live in west central Florida and have seen this phenomenon in the yard around our home and also around the area in different places. It's small circular "divots" in the sand and often they are...
5
5

clover lawn - need advice
Our new Church (in Maine) has a very large lawn area on leveled, post-build-new-lot soil, which is not too good (since the next addition will go there, eventually). It has spotty lawn at the edges...
10
10

Chopping up leaves
Good or bad for a lawn?? Bob
9
9

What's right soil for ROS cutting: sand, or perlite: what?
What happened to Miracle Grow potting soil? Thats what I would have used until I was told to use sand or perlite. I am not mixing a big batch, just enough to take a clipping from my dying Rose of...
13
13

fertilizer for October Glory Maple tree
2 years ago i planted the October Glory but it's not growing at the rate i had hpoed. i live in NJ and the soil is pretty much sandy below the first several inches. it gets good watering and had a...
5
5

Brown grass edges and tips....help
My otherwise good looking lawn has brown grass, almost looks like straw , mixed in with it not in any particular pattern. A few weeks ago, the entire lawn was a deep dark green. Now some is green and...
20
20

Moss on shed roof
My 5yr old shed is in a shaded area and is developing moss on roof asphalt shingles. Should I worry? If yes, what's the best way to get rid of it - bleach/water?
5
5

new grass/sod, how much to water
property just got new sod laid down, how much water does it need, for how long, thanks
2
2

Help with redoing the lawn (sod on bad, rocky ground)
My lawn is ~6 years old, was new when I bought the place. It looked pretty good initially, but later I realized that the ground where the sod was placed didn't have good soil at all. Pretty rocky, and...
30
30

Converting lawn mower to manual throttle?
I'm late but you still need the automatic part, even with a manual throttle. They all have it. Otherwise it will stall quicker than you can ajust the throttle.
1
1

Converting an Electric Mower to Petrol
I have a lawn which is simply too big for an electric mower to cope with, also I hate having to mess around with the cable all the time. Rather than buying a new mower I've looked at Briggs and...
6
6

TRI-COLORED BEECH - input wanted!
I would like to know the pro's and con's of planting a a Tri-Colored Beech as an ornament tree in my well-established front yard. (Zone 7, central VA)) Hurricane Isabel wasn't very nice to my Eastern...
5
5