Divots in the Sand... Insects???

We live in west central Florida and have seen this phenomenon in the yard around our home and also around the area in different places. It's small circular "divots" in the sand and often they are around the edge of the house below where the roof line ends, but we have seen this under trees and also out in the middle of the yard, far away from everything.

anyone identify what is causing this?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
infiniteMPG

Google 'ant lion'

Reply to
Shanghai

THAT'S IT!!! Wow, so those are sand traps. Kind of cool! Other then a potential biting risk sounds like these guys eat ants so maybe it's a good thing to keep 'em around :O)

Reply to
infiniteMPG

No biting risk - they're not nearly as fearsome as they appear, unless you're an ant.

Reply to
Shanghai

Well, I've learned about Ant Lions. I loved this from Wikipedia: "the dry carcass is flicked out of the pit". Video at 11.

I would have thought it was golfers.

Reply to
dgk

***

In Queensland Australia we see those all the time - they are made by spiders here

Reply to
Larry