which is first - weed & feed or lime?

Hello, I live in western New York State. My forsythia just began to bloom. I am trying to rejuvenate my huge lawn. It's in very bad shape with countless weeds of every variety, much moss and bare spots. I know I need fertilizer, weed killer, and lime. My question is which do I put on first - weed and feed or lime? Thank you, Dennis

Reply to
Desiglass

Hello, I live in western New York State. My forsythia just began to bloom. I am trying to rejuvenate my huge lawn. It's in very bad shape with countless weeds of every variety, much moss and bare spots. I know I need fertilizer, weed killer, and lime. My question is which do I put on first - weed and feed or lime? Thank you, Dennis

Reply to
Desiglass

In general, you can put lime down anytime, assuming what your talking about is limestone type, not some fast acting product. It takes a very long time for limestone to react with the soil.

In this case, though, the weed and feed products generally rely on the product sticking to the leaves of the weed. So, I'd do the lime first so it doesn't knock off the weed/feed. And use the pelletized type of lime. If you use the pulverized/powdery type, it will leave the weeds coated.

If it were me, I'd put down the lime, followed by fertilizer with pre- emergent crabgrass control, and use a tank type sprayer with a herbicide to address the weeds. The tank allows you to deliver it right to the weeds, is more effective, and uses less herbicide, which is better for the environment.

The other thing to consider is if the lawn is in really bad shape, it may be better to just get through this season and do a complete kill and renovate in Sept. If you have mostly weeds and some crappy/ undesirable grass, it could be more work and trouble trying to salvage it, as opposed to starting over with a good quality grass.

Reply to
trader4

Weed and feed is about the WORST thing one can put on a lawn. You don't need the chemical weed killer on the whole lawn, and it can soak into the soil and be detrimental to even trees.

I suggest you just use fertilizer (feed) and handle the weeds another way.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob