13.5 Hp Briggs and Stratton won't start

I just bought a Craftsman riding lawn mower and had a broken connection rod. I replaced the rod and the gaskets. The problem I'm having now is the engine wont start at all. I see fuel blowing out of the carb. I lined up 2 dot of the cam and crank. check the valves clearance and reading .005 on exhaust and .007 on intake. cleaned around the valves so they will seat better. nothing.

Does anyone know the compression ratio?

or how about this, does anyone know what else to check?

I need help PLEASE!!!!!

Reply to
bwhitney

Did you check the resistance on the coil, are you getting spark?

the impedance (resistance) of the secondary circuit at room temperature. Hook an ohmmeter test lead to the spark plug terminal of the high-tension lead and another to the lamination stack (ground). Your resistance reading should range between 2,500 and 5,000 ohms. If infinite (no continuity), an internal open circuit exists. Replace the coil. If infinite and the engine runs, your problem is an internal break of the high tension lead, a poor attachment of the spark plug terminal or improper mating of the high tension lead to the coil. A pin within the coil body skewers the lead. If the pin does not contact the wire core, there will be no continuity. The coil will often have enough available voltage to jump the gap, so you see spark. The internal arcing that occurs within the high-tension lead will eventually create enough resistance that ignition system performance will suffer. If your resistance reading is much lower than 2,500 ohms, an internal short exists. Replace the coil.

Mich...

Reply to
Mich...

If it ran long enough to throw a rod the coil is fine. I suspect a reassembly problem but diagnosing through a newsgroup is damn near impossible. Also it's far a easier and more reliable test to just lay the plug against the cylinder head while attempting to start. If you see a spark then the coil is good.

Reply to
Art