York Diamond 80 - Heat/No Heat

Hello,

I have a York Diamond 80 with the following symptoms:

  1. Will turn on and heat normally through several cycles
  2. Eventually it will turn on, and the blower kicks on with no heat and it has to be turned off with the thermostat swtich
  3. When turned back on it will work a few more times (cycles) and then go into the same routine of having to be reset
  4. I have cleaned the flame sensor (wasn't bad to begin with)
  5. The ignitor was changes a couple of years ago (thinking it was that..) but the freqency of the failures is increasing

...could it be the curcuit board?

Reply to
PilotAH64

What did you local service tech tell you??

Reply to
Noon-Air

Yep, that AND the thermostat. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

You need to watch it's operation when it's not working and see if it is igniting. There are a number of sensors that are used during ignition. If it is forced draft there will also be a low pressure sensor that has to be activated before it will start the ignition. You already are aware of the flame sensor. If it ignites but then shuts off that means it's not recognizing the ignition. You need to check the sensors with a meter to determine if it is a sensor or the control board. The paperwork that came with it may give you some testing procedures for the sensors. It may also describe any codes that the circuit board may flash using leds that tell you what the circuit board is not happy about. For example something like "three short flashes" may mean something. If you don't have any documentation you might be able to find it on the internet. The companies tend to use similar control configurations on a number of models and sizes. If this is sounding a bit complicated then you might be better off calling a service tech. Ask your neighbors who they have liked. Random parts replacement will end up costing you more that having someone that knows what they are doing fix it right the first time.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Oh the false joys of owning a modern furnace.

What a load of bullshit.

Reply to
HVAC Guy

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Service tech went for the ignitor, which seems to be working fine. It may take hours before it goes into this no-light cycle, and then reset it through the thermostat (which is sending the signal correctly) and it works again (needless to say, don't really want to pay a tech to sit there and watch my furnace for hours before it fails). From what I have seen on a lot of the blogs it pointing toward the board, seems Yorks have this problem. This thing is easier than the 2008 Volvo (more wires than engine) in the garage, there are only a few parts to check the pain is the works sometimes, sometimes not...

Reply to
PilotAH64

Intermittent operation is always a pain no matter what you're working on. Sometimes detailed testing reveals measurements that are very close to a limit and that can be a hint but not always.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

You know HVAC Gay;

The newer furances provide safe, efficent heat. In fact, the newer heaters are safer than those of yestur-year because of the saftey features. Many folks who 'thought' changing the filter in the blower compartment was easy failed to put the blower door on correctly, and almost killed the family by mixing the conditioned air with the combustion air. [Not that you might know the difference.] The newer appliances prevent this mis-hap.

Many a DIY has mis-installed a fossile fuel burning furance and killed thier loved ones. The newer furnaces with their saftey features prevent this from happening.

For you to condem the newer appliances is rectless and dangerous. If you had any [sense] you'd STFU and sit back.

Reply to
Zyp

If you suspect a limit control trip, you can purchase an item called "tattle-tail" which is a low current fuse, that you install across the control. When the control opens and the current load is forced through the "tattle-light" then the fuse pops - letting you know that the control had opened sometime in the past. [Check with the manufacture for the limit size of the fusible link.]

Reply to
Zyp

you could hardly compare a volvo to a modern vehicle.

Steve Barker

YOu f****ng moron they are all junk.

But at least with York the wiring harnesses etc are generally fairly neatly routed bundled rather than being a jumbled up mess and appearing as though mice rats had originally laid the space out as being a potential nesting spot..

Reply to
Simon Schnizzard

Hey Zippy If it was a limit the idiot lights would flash the code.

Reply to
Megatron

Is the limit "auto reset?" And if it is, does the trip register on the computer led code? [Retaining history?] I don't know, I'm not a lennox dealer. But it wouldn't really be hard to find out if I had the model number.

My guess is it does not retain history and you wouldn't see an led code unless it happened while you were viewing the operation of the unit.

Reply to
Zyp