Trane A/C A-coil rust

I have a 3 year old Trane XL14i. The evaporater coil / air handler is in the attic here in south Florida (fairly common). Now that it is cooler, I opened it up to clean the blower and just inspect everything. I removed the side panel to the air handler and the galvanized triangular panel on the A-coil. The bottom half of the A- coil sides are full of rust.

Anyway, the parts have a 10 year warranty, but labor was only 2 years. I fear the entire A-coil is going o rust away within a few years. Should I get it replaced now or wait until there is a cooling problem? Is there anyway I can stop the rust? I know enough about corrosion to know my "fix" could make things worse (ie., the copper coils could start to corrode instead of the steel).

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
borne

Actually, your best bet would to be to call your Trane dealer, or another if you like and purchase a 10 yr Parts AND Labor warranty through Trane. Then when it goes bad (and something WILL go bad) you get it fixed totally free. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Unfortunately it's normal for them to rust. If it's any consolation I've seen them rusting for years without much consequence. I suspect they are engineered with enough material so that they remain structurally sound.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

You might check to be sure the water is not standing during the "off cycle." If water is allowed to stand to long, it will [over time] rust through. Although the drain pan(s) may be of 16 / 14 gauge, and have a long life with water standing in them, you will benefit greatly by insuring ALL of the condensate drains off during the off cycle.

Reply to
Zyp

YES, water is standing in the pan when the unit is off. I was there for the install and asked about the fact that the drain hole was a bit above the bottom of the drain pan and I was told that was to keep debris (rust flakes, dust, etc.) from clogging the line as it would drop to the bottom. The only easy way I can see to get more water to drain is to tilt the unit a few degrees. It is hanging from 4 chains, so I can raise 2 a bit without breaking any seals around the ducts (I think). However, I don't think I'd be able to get all the water out. Any suggestions?

Reply to
borne

It is always going to be wet. When ever it is running it will be generating water from evaporation. It's not going to dry out much between the times it is running.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

The question I have is this.... Is the drain properly trapped in accordance with the manufacturers instructions??

Reply to
Noon-Air

"I fear the entire A-coil is going o rust away within a few years." Don't fear that is what it supose to do, how do you expect them to sale you new one. Tony

Should I get it replaced now or wait until there is a cooling

Reply to
tony